SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posterous or Wordpress - Does it Matter in the Long Run?

Hi all,

I've run a bunch of blogs over the years, but for a number of reasons I've never stuck with them for more than 4-5 months or so. But that's not what this post is about.

I am planning to launch a blog in the coming week, about a broader topic that I know I'll be able to stick with for the longer term.

The blog is all set up in Wordpress, with plugins, custom design that I made etc, but after hearing about Steve Rubel (steverubel.com) moving to Posterous I'm wondering if that actually may be a smarter way to go.

Wordpress has the advantage of ultimate customization and extensibility, but Posterous makes it far easier on the content creation side of things (auto parsing of video links, autoposting to social networks, integrated podcast support etc).

My question is, do you think it really matters in the long run? Although I've been a dedicated Wordpress user for a long time Posterous' simplicity is compelling and fits in with my goals to move away from my notebook computer as my primary computing device in favor of a mobile device.

And if you're wondering: this blog will be a business. Planning on following the old model of creating lots of cool content and then selling info products with more specific details etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it really matters. The thing that does matter is finding customers, not what CMS you're using. Never heard of Posterous though... but I will check it out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress has it all. If you consider moving to another one for autoposting reasons, you will be wasting time (at least for the setup). Wordpress also has autoposting capabilities to social sites through onlywire plugin, twitter plugin, etc.

There are lots of things wordpress can do. As long as you look around for what's useful you can easily plug it up.
    BULK Article Writing! Fast Turn-Around Time. Quality Articles!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey David, I agree with GarrettAren and John. There is no blogging platform like wordpress. There are countless things you can do with it. Here are 2 of some of the many links I have collected over time http://www.howtomakemyblog.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/learningwordpress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Steve Rubel jumped off a cliff would you follow?

It doesn't matter in the long run (other than lost rankings from posts already ranking), but I'm of the mindset that it's better the devil you know. I'd stick with wordpress, if you're familiar with it, that is.
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress all the way. ver Search Engine friendly and easy to use. You can port it form the free wordpress.com to a self hosted platform very easily when the time comes. There is tons of help trhough user communities as well....Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just came across this entry which might be helpful:
    http://www.anotherblogger.com/2009/07/13/posterous-vs-wordpress/

In general, it seems like Posterous excels at easily publishing while on the go and pushing to other services. I'm pretty sure the same could be set-up in Wordpress, but it would take a little work.

Wordpress, on the other hand, is more established and allow customization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think wordpress is the best one for blogging.
    With plugins you can turn a wordpress blog to a war machine if you want

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    simplicity is desirable , but at the cost of ultimate customization and extensibility, not a good deal for me !