SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Where can I ask this question?

I don't see any forum titled "Questions So Stupid You Should Just Go Away" but I need to find one.

I'm new to webhosting, have managed a PHBbb before and a simple site someone else set up for me, and a couple of Tripod sites, etc. I know enough HTML to code a basic page and am starting to learn CSS. My goal is simplicity and accessibility. (Currently reading Steve Krug's Dont Make Me Think.)

I just signed on with KnownHost.com, which I believe is a good hosting company but my questions are so basic the Support people immediately referred me HERE to SitePoint. He explained that they are administrators, not web designers, so they're already ticked off with me because of the kind of questions I had. My mistake was not realizing just how much I was already expected to know.

Questions:

1. My site online shows the index list. I have uploaded a simple "Coming Soon" html page into the public directory. How do I get that to show up instead of the index? I don't know where to put things.

2. Can you direct me to any true "beginners" forums where I won't waste anyone's time with stuff I'm expected to know about site administration? I want to learn, not have someone do it for me.

3) Is there a sample somewhere of what my directory structure should look like as I add scripts to my site? (classified ads, calendar, etc.) I have the CPanel.

Thanks.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure all you should need to do is re-name your "Coming Soon" page to "index.html". If you're on a Windows server then you might need to call it "default.html".

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morgang
    My mistake was not realizing just how much I was already expected to know.
    We all need to start somewhere. Don't feel bad.

As for the "beginners' forums" thing... I've used SitePoint as my beginners' forum and no one's ever called me dumb. There are a few arrogant pr*cks in-between but for the most part everyone here is pretty accommodating.

I hope you stay and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little more info about the index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead)
    I'm pretty sure all you should need to do is re-name your "Coming Soon" page to "index.html". If you're on a Windows server then you might need to call it "default.html".
    Things are obvious to those who have stumbled across them before

1) A basic URL e.g. "sitepoint.com" is not a file, it is an address. So, the index.html file is automatically pointed to if it exists. As Shaun said, you can simply rename your "ComingSoon.html" to index.html then that page will be pointed to whenever someone types in your URL. Or, you can design a page that you want to be the first page arrived at and on that page make a link that points to "ComingSoon.html"

2)In my signature block you can see that there is no .htm or .html after PrimaryBreadwinner That is because I made a directory called PrimaryBreadwinner and renamed the file I wanted to show up when the link is clicked to index.html then walla!

3)As for your directory structure, there are no hard and fast guide lines that I'm aware of. Simple design it for your convenience. Make it easy to find what you need.

Hopefully, this shed a little more light on things. You could try "HTML Goodies" by Joe Burns Here is a review off of Amazon.com for one of his books:
    4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:

A wonderful book for all, March 14, 2003
    Reviewer: Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews

I have this man's complete series of HTML books. Any time my friends or I have a question, the answer is in one of these!

Best of Luck! Keep on plugging on! And thanks for mentioning "Steve Krug's Dont Make Me Think" I'll check it out...

Dave
    "Three components make an entrepreneur:
    the person, the idea, and the resources to make it happen."
    Anita Roddick ~British entrepreneur
    dbr founder of: ProximityCast.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that worked!

Thanks for the encouragement, too. This site is SO full of great information and people! I've been reading for the past couple of hours.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement, too. This site is SO full of great information and people! I've been reading for the past couple of hours.
    Welcome to SitePoint, morgang and... keep reading! That's the best start you can have.

As you read, when you have a question ask it. (Generally you should start your own thread within the forum that gave you the question).

Start with:
    Just Starting Your Design

Go to Web Design and the their sub-forums on htmland css.

Try General Development Issues

After your site is designed see "Reviews & Critiques". Review three other sites and then request that your site is reviewed by others. As you review sites, you'll see a lot of what others do to make their sites "click".

Then when your satisfied with your site, see the web promotion and SEO forums.

Take your doing business on the Internet questions to Business and legal.

Remember... there are no "stupid questions" but there are a lot of people putting up stupid web sites just because they were afraid to ask the questions that help them do things right.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3) Is there a sample somewhere of what my directory structure should look like as I add scripts to my site? (classified ads, calendar, etc.) I have the CPanel.
    It's really up to you. If you use Cpanels auto script installs it will ask you for a folder to put the script in.

You might want to consider putting each main section of your site in a folder, ie...

General pages...

www.mysite.com/index.html
    www.mysite.com/about.html
    www.mysite.com/contact.html

Site sections...

www.mysite.com/classifieds/
    www.mysite.com/calendar/
    www.mysite.com/articles/