SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I used to do web designing *which I rarely got any business* I never could understand something, would the site as in html, images etc be yours? Or is it the customers? and they can do what they want with it?
    I know what a lot of you are going to say, they paided for it so its theirs. But Does it mean they can just dump you as their designer and really mess up what you did?
    Thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all they should let you know that they are not your client anymore, but I haven't had this happen yet so I don't know if they actually will notify you.

In regards to the site being theirs, it is their site unless you work out a deal otherwise, but they can't put up a note, banner, or whatever that says the site was designed by someone else.

Sure, they can mess it up all they want, but then we don't even have to acknowledge that we made the site. Simply take them off from your portfolio page(s) and voila! They no longer exist to you.

Just my $.02

------------------
    Isaiah Walter
    Founder and Owner
    ------------------
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Professional Internet design for non-professional prices™

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any work done under a contract belongs to the person paying for it. That person inherits the copyrights and can do whatever they want with the work. Unless you specifically retain rights to the work in your contract and license agreement(s) then they can do whatever they want including dumping you and finding someone else or abandoning the whole project all together without telling you.

You do have a contract for services don't you?

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No at the time I didn't have a contract.
    That was on one and only job as I was trying to design sites. Now I'm not really into designing since its all graphic based these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When WE design web sites we provide the design as a stand alone product. We state that until the product is paid for in full, it remains our property. When they've paid for it, they can do what they like with it.

Site maintenance etc. come as separate packages. It might not seem like a sensible way of going about it but at least you know where you stand.

------------------
    Visit Ethos Online http://www.ethosonline.com/ for articles, tutorials, tips, tools, reviews and resources to help you create, promote and maintain a great web site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what I should of done. He was paided me by the month to maintain his site.
    Then he just dropped me so his son could do it. And I'm sorry but it is just horrible what he did to it. To me when I make something like a website I think it as a peace of art. even if it doesn't look all great. I'm some what strict in judgin sites and I hate pointing out the bad parts. Unless there isn't that much to point out. So I try to be as nice as I can here at least.