SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Filling up a stretchy page

I'd really like to do more of my sites in percentages. As it is, some of them still have to work well in 640x480 so making them fixed = making them very small. The problem I keep coming across is what to use to fill up the potential space, especially on the main page. One thing I'd like to do is to redo a portfolio site for myself and I just don't have that much to say. I'm not even trying to get any new business at the moment. I just want it there "just in case" and because I have a domain in mind I'd like to use for e-mail. Then I have a small business site, which I changed to percentages but I'm not totally happy with the way it worked out, and still another for an organization that I'd like to make fill the screen, but on the main page there really isn't a lot to say. I was wondering if anyone had some good non-flash examples of stretchy pages that aren't really full of lots of content and still not overly graphics heavy.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have a look at my website
    www.nickydanino.com

I am going to be changing the design, but it will still remain a liquid design so that it will accomodate to different browser sizes.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the best I can think of is www.bluerobot.com - there's not a massive amount of information on there, and it's totally fluid, yet it doesn't look barren.

A List Apart ( www.alistapart.com ) uses a similar technique, although there's more content - but even an empty-ish page would look good. Basically it's intelligent use of white space which does the trick - everything's nicely spaced without looking bare, which is infinitely better than filling up the gaps with stuff that doesn't really belong there or which visitors don't want to see.

Hope that helps .
    Nick Wilson [ - email - ]

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Nicky you do make really good use of the page and it's not overly full. It's a really good example and so is the other. I somehow didn't get notification of the replies here..don't know why..so I'm just seeing them now. Thanks again.