SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I think that I've got a pretty good idea for my website, but when I see that people are viewing my page, many times they don't register. I was just wondering what techniques other people have found to be successfull?

Thanks
    Have you ever been ripped off, lied to or cheated? If so, check out
    Baddealings.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give them something that they want and have to register for.

I get about 5-10 people a day to register at my site by offering various services and only doing support for my free scripts in my forums.

Also don't expect too much. Different sites will have different %s of people registering.

Also, don't ask for too much personal information as that will turn off a lot of people.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you get them to find out about your site? As for my site, I ask the same information that this website does as we run the same software. Also, I let my forums be read by everyone who clicks on them, but I have the option of only letting registered members read my forums, what do you think about that? It is my opinion that people just read the info on my site and then leave, without registering or posting.
    Baddealings.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you get them to find out about your site?

See http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...?threadid=8716

Also, I let my forums be read by everyone who clicks on them, but I have the option of only letting registered members read my forums, what do you think about that?

I think people should be able to read without registering, since most will just leave otherwise.

If all you have is forums, then it's probably harder to get people to register and post. Maybe you could offer some other incentive for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by steven
    Ok, I think that I've got a pretty good idea for my website, but when I see that people are viewing my page, many times they don't register. I was just wondering what techniques other people have found to be successfull?

Thanks
    hi ya steven it's eva2000 from vbulletin forums

it may take time too... members like to lurk around the forums for a while and see if it's worth registering...

having quality discussions on your forum topic helps in the sign up process... i get around 50 - 80 new members per week on my vbulletin forum since it started 10 weeks ago... the only reason for this is visitors lurk in the threads and read the stuff that get's posted and see that there are discussion topics worth participating in..

oh yeah make the registration link easy to find helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah chang of vb forum colours from the default would help in making the forum more unique and of your own

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ya eva!! **me waves** Wow you are on every site that I know You're site is probably one of the nicest sites that is out there. You must have every hack known to VB!! I must visit your site 3 or four times a day, and I'm not even an anime fan. It's purely to see what else you changed. I changed my vb from the default settings but then the 5 links seemed to not look good. I know that I have to be patient, but it's hard hearing that so many sites get 50-80 members per week that incredible, I want to be like EVA. I wish that I can get that. Well anymore tips? BTW, I can't wait for the new software.
    Baddealings.com

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pop-ups although anoying make em register.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    pop-ups although anoying make em register.
    Not always. A lot of user automatically close the popups without reading them first (myself included), although, I plan to create a popup to get get more users to sign up for my free sports newsletter. You never it know, it might be effective.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats true, but it does increase your percentage.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Just changed the whole color scheme of my forums. I would like to know what people think about it?
    Baddealings.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ya eva!! **me waves** Wow you are on every site that I know You're site is probably one of the nicest sites that is out there. You must have every hack known to VB!! I must visit your site 3 or four times a day, and I'm not even an anime fan. It's purely to see what else you changed. I changed my vb from the default settings but then the 5 links seemed to not look good. I know that I have to be patient, but it's hard hearing that so many sites get 50-80 members per week that incredible, I want to be like EVA. I wish that I can get that. Well anymore tips? BTW, I can't wait for the new software.
    **waves back*** hehe yes i get around the net alot my vbulletin is pretty much hacked to death and i have stopped now...since i realised the pain i will go through when upgrade time comes

as for the colour scheme change looks better... but white hyperlink colour ain't that good ...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I let my forums be read by everyone who clicks on them, but I have the option of only letting registered members read my forums, what do you think about that?
    I believe that you should let your visitors read all threads. It's the only way to gain their trust and convince them about the quality of posts/Moderators and the help you can offer.
    Many visitors of our forums only read the posts but hesitate to participate... Others mention in their first post something like 'You 've discussed about ... many times'. This means that they need time to get used in the forums, understand the community's spirit and get involved! Give them this opportunity!

Steve.
    Sell Online
    Attract customers with
    Magnetcommerce!
    Magnet e-commerce shopping cart software