SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Database Backup - Newbie Question

I'm relatively new in the vBulletin world, so please have patience with me.

Because of an unfortunate mistake by my host (deleting my entire web account), I decided not to depend on them doing their 24 hour backup of my forum database for me.

I downloaded Putty and finally SSH'ed a datadump.sql into my root. My plan was to ftp the file onto my computer HD and then store 5 consecutive, nightly backups on CD each week.

My problem: My database file is 80megs. By my calculations last night, it would have taken me 4-5 hours to download the backup to my computer and then more time to copy it to CD. My ISP broke my connection twice, both times after 2-3 hours in and only a partial transfer was ever completed.

My Questions: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this backing up and saving of my database? Do most of you just save your backup on your host server or do others keep backup copies on their own HD's and CD's, as I'm trying to do? How is this handled??

Trying to save backups like this is a huge time investment that I can't quite afford, right now. There certainly MUST be an easier way to feel secure.

HELP!!
    Last edited by TvFan; Jul 3, 2002 at 06:08.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zip your backup file by dividing into smaller files. And download one by one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sylow
    Zip your backup file by dividing into smaller files. And download one by one.
    Thanks for your response Sylow...but remember...I'm very new at this.

I could do all of this, IF everything were on my own computer...but this is a bit more complicated...so, any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Since I don't think I can divide the data.sql file into pieces, I'm assuming you mean to dump the database piece by piece into my server root and then ftp download each piece to my own computer...right?

I've only used SSH once and I only know 2 commands...one to dump and one to restore. How do I go about dumping pieces?