SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you sync databases without duplication?

Let's suppose product A is an ecommerce product, and product B is an accounting system. I want pull inventory from A, and put it into B. How can this be done without risk of duplicating data?

I am not looking for actual code, I just wonder how this is done, in concept. I could think of a few ways that might work, but is there a standard way of doing this?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, really depends on the underlying database systems--some have some builtin synchronization tools that can be very handy.

Beyond that, you need to get into specific requirements and come up with a set of synchronization "rules" and then write software that enforces those rules. This will usually take a number of tries to get right.

<?php while(!sleep()){code();} G.Schuster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save a timestamp or unique identifier with each entry so you're able to see if the entry already exists in database B.
    Or take a look at SQLYog - that tool is really great.
    Used it when working for an employer two years ago to restructure a database with a really huge amount of data.
    After entering all changes (e.g. column a from table a should be placed in table X column Y) the program did everything itself without anyone having to look after it.