Thread: Noob Question

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob Question

I already posted this q once in a different category I will delete the other one.
    I am a noob by the way
    I just downloaded a template and the folder has like 5 parts and they are index, contact page and images a readme and style. I think it is CSS but im not sure. Anyway I wanted to start building a site with that design how do I do it? What application or software do I use? Like Joomla? or what is good for a site with around 5 pages just a straight out content site offering a service? What do i need to consider, and obviously i know a bit about ftp clients, so like which is the best software to use for this site, easy yet makes full functionality of my template...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems a static site. So for HTML editing you can start with using Macromedia Dreamweaver and for graphics and button design purpose you can use Photoshop.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping to have a CMS and maybe some other apps added also, any idea which CMS is good and free...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OSCommerce is a shopping cart. Unless he is in need of selling goods online, it wouldn't be the best choice.

Expression Engine, Wordpress, MODx, and Drupal all seem to be fairly good recommended CMS'. I don't recommend Joomla! as it is incredibly difficult to work with from my experience. Even trying to link pages is a chore.

I would like to offer that you take that template you downloaded, and try to make a static website out of it. Take the opportunity and learn some HTML and CSS, and you will find it much more rewarding when you decide to use a CMS. Any decent site using a CMS will require customization. Knowing the HTML and CSS behind it will make it much more intuitive. And who knows, you might find that you would rather have the static site overall because you will have a greater degree of control. Then, when you are ready you could learn some PHP and make a dynamic website running from a database on your own.
    Rexibit Web Services
    Don't just build it - CSS it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Oscommerce and it is really easy to use, is there anything like osc but not for shopping carts...

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't actually used it before, but as a simple "No Fluff" CMS (as they call it themselves) Radiant looks good:
    http://radiantcms.org/