SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contest Designers need to have some pride!

It is unfortunate that many artists allow this to be a free market of design ideas which devalues the integrity of the art and the artist. I do not feel that that this was the intended purpose of the contest forums.

Several statements at http://www.sitepoint.com/contests/do...esign-contests support my position.

To highlight some examples:

What is this service good for?
    This service provides a low-risk, cost effective way for you to sample work from different designers, then choose who you want to work with moving forward.

What is this service not so good for?
    The Design Contests are not suitable for people who expect to walk away with the perfect design every time. Sure, you might get lucky, but often what happens is you come away with a good design that needs a few finishing touches.

Once you've picked the design you like best and awarded the prize money, you can either work with the winning designer to finish the design off to your total satisfaction, or take it to someone else to perfect.

I am going to take a stand myself and I recommend that you do too!

This is an example of what I am going to start saying.
    My entry is a concept for your design and shows my style. Any modifications can be discussed. As a professional artist I can work with you to achieve the results you are looking for. If you like my style and choose me as the winner I will be more than happy to revise this design to your satisfaction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know as a CH myself, I try to keep any revisions down to a minimum.. maybe one round, and it is completely up to the designers if they want to do them. I do say in my brief that if I pick a design, there will most likely be small changes need to be made because I agree with you, it's hard to find that "perfect" design; but you can come close and tweak it from there.
    Sara

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t feel that the contest holders are at fault, I just think the designers need to respect their time and talent.

To address this,
    I suggest that an article be written about this to help educate the designers. Also designers should only be allowed to enter ONE submission for each contest.

Some benefits from this are that designs will have more thought put in to them, which will create quality designs rather then quantity for the contest holders. Also it will eliminate the frustration many designers feel from participating in the competitions.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jelena's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I wouldn't agree about allowing entrants to post only one or two submissions. Some of them might have so many different ideas for one contest and limiting them to only one is not a very good solution.

However, yes, article could help them out to understand how things work.
    -- Jelena --

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, one or two initially is a good thing. There have been times when ulahts has submitted like 4 or 5 at the beginning of the contest. Limiting the time between submissions may also curb this kind of thing.
    MrBaseball34
    Hook'Em Horns!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I htink the contest holders are at fault for this. They frequently abuse the system, asking for unfair quantities and levels of revision to multiple entries.

Then again, I can't sa I'm surprised. A contest holder isn't exactly following the path of a proper business person by holding a design contest. They are looking for a cheap alternative to the more effective yet more costly design and branding process, and they want to milk the contest for every last cent of value they can get out of it.

I don't remember where I read it or what the exact numbers were, but supposedly in your average contest the CH pays less than $1 per hour of work received in total. Quite frankly it says alot about the CHs, and so the fact that they would try to get even more out of a contest beyond the vast amount of work they already receive for so little a cost is not at all suprising or unexpected.

And sure, not all CHs abuse the system like this, but let's be honest: there are more CHs abusing the system than those who treat designers fairly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I somewhat agree with you, but I'm just not in a position where I can complain so much.
    I like spending spare time working on design contests,
    I have a job which pays the bills,
    I want to generate experience and portofilio material.

I don't know how many other peoples situations are like this, but it's hard to complain in that situation.

One suggestion that I would offer, if the sitepoint team agrees that designers are getting the short end of the stick is to impose higher prize amounts. I don't believe it will reduce the number of contest holders by much, and the legitimate contest holders probably not at all.
    From there designers will benefit in that somewhat fairly priced contests, are not flooded with every single designer, and can breathe a little freer and probably produce better designs from the less stressed out mind
    Contest Holders will feel more compelled to offer rigorous and quick feedback, ultimately leaving them more satisfied with the contest results as a direct result of their greater interest in the contest.

The other big change which might be interesting to think about is a contest format where the prize is awarded after the job is done and the job is the reward for the contest. This probably requires all sort of complicated legalese so i won't even venture to guess how this could be done.

-Randy