User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML & CSS to MS Word

Hi,

I have my resume in good old HTML with Tables and CSS.

I have two stylesheets, one to format for the web and the other for when I load the resume up into word - all works fine.

Now - I want to have another go at a new version - this time I want to rid myself of tables and do everything with CSS.

The code works fine in IE6 and Firefox but I load the HTML up into word it fails miserably!
    The top 'box' when viewed in a browser correctly shows three 'cells' in a row (10%, 60% and 30% width) but when I load into word the widths all change to 100% and three separate lines

Here is the code
    <CSS>
    div.box { width: 100%; margin: 0px; }
    div.box1 { width: 10%; border: 0px; float:left; background-color: gray; }
    div.box2 { width: 60%; border: 0px; float:left; background-color: blue; }
    div.box3 { width: 30%; border: 0px; float:right; background-color: green; text-align: right; }
    div.boxline { width: 100%; border: 0px; background-color: yellow; font-style: italic }

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Playing with CSS:1</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="web.css">
    </head>
    <body>
    <!-- <div class="box"> -->
    <div class="box1">Text 1</div>
    <div class="box2">this is some more text</div>
    <div class="box3">This is the end</div>
    </div>
    <div class="boxline"><b>test</b>&nbsp;
    This is some text that should spread the whole width of the screen and wrap really nicely without shrinking the other 'cells'. The only trouble is I have to make sure the text wraps around on monitors with a higher resolution!
    <br />Hey look no tables!
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

I think the problem is MS word - I also tried an example from w3schools - looks fine on the browser - but word screw it up!

Any one have any ideas I dont want to have to edit two resume's!

Many thanks

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't really open HTML in Word, Word creates RTF docs not HTML and the HTML it <i>can</i> output is totally nonstandard and horrendous, which is why it chokes on your "real" HTML.

I would suggest creating your resume solely in Word, not trying to port HTML into a Word Doc.

The you can use something like CutePDF Writer to convert your resume to a cross platform, read-only PDF for web distribution (instead of an HTML version) or convert it to a GIF. That way people can't easily reuse your carefully wrought resume. Google can index PDF's so that should not be a worry and most everyone has a PDF reader of some sort.

I offer a Word version of my resume and I know that most of the time people view it just so they can steal my template. I should probably take it down, just that so many recruiters require a Word version so I want(ed) it to be easily accessible to them. It is a double edged sword.