SitePoint Forums FAQ
Here you can find answers to questions about how the board works. Use the links or search box below to find your way around.
One person, one account
SitePoint allows only one account per person.
If you lose access to your account, there's no need to create another one. Instead, try the following:
- Try the Lost Password tool.
- Contact SitePoint Support.
After youíve reached 25 posts, you can use a personalized avatar. An avatar is a small image that can be included in your user profile. The maximum size for avatar images is 75 by 75 pixels.
You cannot use your avatar as a means of advertising.
The SitePoint logo, in any variation, cannot be used by anyone who is not a member of the SitePoint staff.
Once you have been a member of the forums for 90 days you are allowed to add a signature to your posts. New users may not use signatures.
Do not attempt to circumvent the 90 day rule by inserting a fake signature in your posts.
Signatures are intended to help you to promote your site, business, or other ventures that relate to you personally. For that reason, you can't let others use your signature, or rent your signature out to another party.
Create your personal signature in line with these requirements:
- Your signature's size is limited to 4 lines of 65 characters each. BBcode isn't included in the total number of characters in a signature.
- You can include links that lead to your site(s) or a product page.
- You can include a slogan (for instance, "UK's Best Hosting starting at £19.99").
- You can't include affiliate or referral IDs. (Links to Outwar and similar types of schemes are acceptable, as these are links to games.
- It should be obvious from the outset where any link leads to.)
- You can't use short URL services (such as TinyURL) in signatures to get around the points above
- You can't promote scams or make unenforceable offers (for example, "Earn $10,000 a month selling suntan lotion to dolphins").
- Pre-approved BBcode can be used, but must adhere to the following restrictions:
- Center and right-align tags can't be used.
- Code, Quote, PHP, HTML, Edit, Off Topic, Spoiler, Highlight, and HR tags can't be used.
- The largest font size permitted is size 3.
- Your signature can't contain images, but it can include smilies.
- Signatures can't be bought or sold, nor can they contain offers to buy or sell other signatures. This guideline includes linking to web sites that solicit the selling of signatures.
- Any attempt to include a 'hidden' signature will be removed and the user may receive an infraction.
Note that SitePoint is a no-follow forum. You will not receive a backlink from your SitePoint Forums signature.
Custom user titles
After youíve reached 200 posts, you can custom your user title. A custom user title is a brief personalised text under your username.
You can't use any description that may lead to think that you are part of SPF or confuse the rest of the Community. Some of the reserved words include community, administrator, moderator, leader, co-founder, advisor, adviser, mentor, officer, employee, sitepoint, non-member, banned, non_member, and admin.
Changing your username
To change your username, send a private message to HAWK, our forums administrator.
- Only one name change is permitted per member except in very extreme circumstances, so make sure to choose the right one.
Leaving the forums/Closing your account
If you donít wish to participate in the forum anymore:
- Simply turn off all the e-mail notification options in your profile
- Stop posting.
We do not delete accounts, except in extraordinary circumstances. If you feel that your account should be deleted, please contact the forum administrator.