SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Learning center

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning center

Has any ever set up a learning center on their site using the VB forums? I would like to get some good ideas on how we should implement one on our..

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by a learning centre? What exactly are you trying to achieve? Do you already have a supporting website so that we can get an idea of what you are trying to accompany?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicky

Here is my site,,www.moneytec.com

What I'm doing is teaming up with a school that teaches how to trade the currency markets, I wanted to have an interactive environment for the school to teach within a section of the site, this will be a free service leading to downloadable (fee based ) classes.. I kind of have it in my head what needs to be done but was just checking around if anyone had any good ideas or has done something like this with VB forums before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guess no one knows how to do this,.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are looking to have the teacher teach the course in a VB thread? Or are the forums going to be a supplement for the class where students could post questions and discuss the topics at hand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm open for any suggestions member may have on this one. I just know we have to think of something cause this would be a very valuable tool on my site..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kyle,

I went a fair way towards becoming an instructor with a large online school [multi-topic] last year. Their system was that written online classes and assignments would be supported via a BB where the instructor would answer & clarify etc.

The other similar schools I researched mostly used a similar system - hidden classes for fee-paying students plus hidden support forums. Some used mailing lists instead or in addition.

Re using a BB, all I can think of is to create the material on your site, eg as a set of articles. Link to your forums from the articles so readers can get interactive help.

In your forums, set up each article as the first post in a reply-only thread - students reply with questions. Alternatively, have a forum for each article/lesson [if there aren't too many, or traffic would be high], with the article as a 'sticky' read-only post at the top. Students then start their own threads.

You might pick up some additional ideas from BlackBoard who I believe are the leading supplier of online educational infrastructure services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply,helpful ,,, This sounds like something we can do without to much trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hi

hey kyle c

I am setting up something simarlar to this -
    my new site is an intergrated vbportal and vb, where users can register and submit tutorials, which will be logged and shown in there detals [eg>) Andy, Posts - 999 tutorials submitted - 32.].

The person coding this for me is some brilliant guy down at vbulletin.org called Chen (firefly - the admin). I am paying him for this and mabye when the site is up and running i will release the code for this for people to use.

thx Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi FrozenToast

Sounds interesting, Please keep me informed , So I can see the outcome. I know about fireflyand I agree 100% he's a brilliant guy ... Hope to see this soon...

Kind Regards

Kyle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That kind of system sounds very similar to what the HTML Writer's Guild are running. They have quizzes too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicky where can I see this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The URL is:
    http://www.hwg.org/