SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freelance make up site

Hi guys,
    I have developed a site for some freelance make up artists.
    The dev site can be found here.
    I would please like to know what you guys think of the site overall.
    One thing I am thinking is that the site may look a little juvenile?
    Not all content has been added, and the home page is not yet complete.
    Any advise or opnions are much appreciated, as there may be a few things I have overlooked.
    Another aspect to please check is the accessibility and cross browser compatibility.

Thanks in advance,

D
    Last edited by Dashman; Aug 26, 2006 at 09:37.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dashman
    I like the general look of the site, clean, lots of whitespace, good colours. Not sure if the font of the title works with the look of the rest of the site . The image bottom left also doesn't work too well with the overlayed menu, the colours on the menu don't show through, leading to confusion, nothing that couldn't be fixed though. I think it may look more sophisticated with a 'real' image and not a designed one? As far as cross browser is concerned looks ok in firefox 1.5 and IE6 although the thumbnail hover effect doesn't work in IE so perhaps you need to integrate some other way to indicate they are links. I certainly think the overall look is good though.
    Hope that helps
    Esprit06
    Get some Esprit Creatif in your life today.
    Inspirational Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks really classy, in fact one of the better designs i'v seen on the review section in a while... Nice work. I often get concerned..is it too much white space..but I think not..it's very sheek and modern..I like the retro female graphic at the bottom...really set's it off nicely.

Great stuff!

Webby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys...thanks for the positive replies.
    esprit06: I too am not sure about the font used for the logo. It is the font that they had on the business card, so I thought I would carry that through. I may consider asking the client if they are happy for a new logo anyways.
    Please could you clarify what you mean by the colours not showing through on the menu?

Thanks again.
    D

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good looking site except for the menu colors. The menu is not visible over the female graphic. Probably a little change to the pink color would make it perfect. Good luck!

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashman
    Hi guys...thanks for the positive replies.
    esprit06: I too am not sure about the font used for the logo. It is the font that they had on the business card, so I thought I would carry that through. I may consider asking the client if they are happy for a new logo anyways.
    Please could you clarify what you mean by the colours not showing through on the menu?

Thanks again.
    D
    What esprit06 means is that there isn't enough contrast between the font color and the background image. I like the layout, it's very clean, crisp and original. One thing I would do is move the menu up so it's positioned above the model in the lower left hand corner. I'd also remove the borders around the menu links, and add a white background to the body element so the page doesn't look distorted in Internet Explorer.

You may also want to add some spice to the layout by creating a rollover state of the models by switching from a black-and-white image to a color image when the mouse hovers over the image link.

All in all, it's very nice. Just tweak the design a bit and I'm sure it will be a major success!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice layout overall IMO, however, I think that you should make the title and header area a little more definitive. The title just appears pasted on to me and I think that it could look much better with possibly a different font and some imagery used in with it.

Great job on the layout though, it has a very classy feel to it that I am digging.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baby
    Good looking site except for the menu colors. The menu is not visible over the female graphic. Probably a little change to the pink color would make it perfect. Good luck!
    I agree with this, also you should consider making the menu stationairy. I think it would go better with the site and no have so much dead space on the left side, easier for the user too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the response and advice guys....
    D

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    over all the site is great. the image of the woman in bottom left comes out cropped in IE6, which i personally like better than the overlay the main body has in FF.

I'd change the following:

they started to see that more and more customers were asking:

"I wish you girls could come to my house and do my make up for me every day!"

to:

they started to see that more and more customers were stating:

"I wish you girls could come to my house and do my make up for me every day!"

--- there is currently no question.

I finally get to see a site that was actually designed instead of just coded or programmed. excellant job!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if the "About Us" page is complete, but it needs grammar/spell check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website Review

Hi I really like your page, It is really clean and appealing. The whole website looks like it fits the target market and will definitely appeal to the girly marke. I like the design and the overall composition on the webpage...
    Also to let you know that I love the logo and the animation in the left hand side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisOBrien
    I finally get to see a site that was actually designed instead of just coded or programmed. excellant job!!
    Thank you very much
    D

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yep, agreed the site looks great - good choice of colours.
    You seem to have gone to some trouble to make it window-size independant so I think that it might be best to go for a liquid layout so the footer is either centered or pushed to the right and the three circles are over on the right. The text in the middle could flow around that way and fill up some more space.. You can still constrain the width by using min-width so it will never look too big in a widescreen.

But I agree with the general consensus. Very nice.