3 33.33%
  • 19" Traditonal CRT

6 66.67%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monitor debate: Flatscreen LCD vs. Traditional CRT

I'm getting a new (Dell) computer soon and am most likely going to go with the 15" Digital Flat Screen monitor. But, would it be more sensable to get the 19" traditional CRT monitor?

Right now, I have a traditional 17" CRT. With the Flat Screen, it would be 15", I cannot afford the outrageous additional cost of a 17" Flat.

With the Flat Screen, I'm sacrificing four inches of screen space, esstentially, but I'm also saving space on my desk and not to mention it's "coolness" effect.

What do you think?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going with the 19" Trinitron on this one. A 19" screen lets you easily see outrageous resolutions without squinting - something that an LCD screen won't let you do. I think looking at a Trinitron is easier than looking at an LCD screen, especially when it is off its native resolution.

If you try an LCD screen at a lower resolution than it was intended to run on, things will look very blurry. Running at anything besides 1024x768 isn't very fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, but fortunately, I comfortably run 1024x768, so I wouldn't be effected. Downside to that is that I don't have much flexibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with the 19" CRT, at this moment in time, TFT's are way expensive - and dont match the sharpness of a CRT yet.

I've seen the Samsung ones my mates work have (their an IT Trainer company, MCSE stuff an that) and these are cool silver, but the quality is crap compared to a CRT, even the selection of them in PC World (Dixons) the quality on most of them was poor when you compare to a CRT.

I'd like one, cos they do save space, but the quality of the image is more important

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a debate that has been raging on since the LCD monitors came out. There are +'s and -'s for both. Lets take a look shall we.

LCD screens +
    1. Total flat screen
    2. ultra sharp image and text
    3. Great for design and 2D work

LCD screens -
    1. Limited resolutions available
    2. Chance of "Dead pixels" - there really annoying
    3. 3D performance is poor - ie. no gaming on these babies
    4. Expensive

CRT screens +
    1. Can have flat screen
    2. Great for 3D games
    3. Wide range of resoltions available
    4. Lower cost than LCD

CRT screens -
    1. Big footprint
    2. Radiation issues?

Personally I would go with the 19" CRT. When you are creating sites, having a monitor that can display a range of different resolutions is very important. Also I play games and it is impossible to run 3D games on an LCD display.

LCD is going to become more popular as time goes on but I dont think its ready to take the CRT's place just yet. Granted it has its place but at the moment that place is in the 2D realm only.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    I'm going with the 19" Trinitron on this one
    Aiden, I don't see where you got Sony Trinitron from...

Indeed, think that anyone that can actually afford a Sony Trinitron should buy one, but it is probably a bit too expensive for the average person.

If you are talking about just a regular cheap 19" crt, then you should definately look into spending just a few more bucks. There's no need to get a Sony Trinitron, but you could at least go for a quality Hitachi or NEC - or another good brand of monitor. A lot of generic brand monitors, especially large ones, have poor sharpness and colour performance.

What should you look for? Hmm...
    Resolution and refresh rate: if it can do 1600x1200 @ 80Hz then good
    Horizontal refresh rates up to 100kHz are good.
    0.26mm grille pitch is decent, 0.24 is fantastic
    Look for a monitor that resists bouncing reflections off the screen (a sophisticated deflection coating) and absorbs ambient light and reflections. The darker it is when turned off, the better (usually, although tinting accomplishes some of the darkness).
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops! I guess I was thinking of my Trinitron or something. Thanks for pointing that out, mmj.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right guys, I decided on the 19" CRT over the 15" Flat Screen. I got the 19 in (17.9 in viewable,.25-.25AG)P991 FD Trinitron Monitor. There were two 19" monitors to choose from, I bought the more expensive of the two, I believe I bought the flat screen one CRT. Good move?

Also, how do I determine my monitor's refresh rate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    I bought the more expensive of the two, I believe I bought the flat screen one CRT. Good move?
    Good move. Flat screen monitors have virtually no distortion compared to there curved counterparts and they are usually easier on the eye.

Also, how do I determine my monitor's refresh rate?
    Right click on your desktop and click properties. Next click the settings tab > then click advanced. Next click the adapter tab at the top. The refresh rate can be seen in the drop down box at the bottom of that page.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quicker alternative is to press the menu button (works for Trinitrons, and possibly others). The current refresh rate is displayed at the bottom, along with the current resolution. You can't change it from there, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the manual for the monitor, it will list either:

A list of horizontal refresh rates the monitor is capable of and a list of vertical refresh rates (both may be expressed as a range, rather than a list).

AND/OR

A list of resolutions and for each resultion a maximum vertical refresh rate capable.

If yours does not list the latter, a bit of mathematics will help you determine what vertical refresh rates are available at each resolution.

You should use the highest resolution you can get, while not going below about 85 Hz vertical refresh rate.

In many monitor manuals it may list a "recommended resolution" - this is usually as I have said.

In windows, set your display resolution to that resolution. Then go into Advanced (the advanced button) and across on the "adapter" tab it will have a control called "refresh rate". This is what micmar is talking about, and it reports the refresh rate that Windows has instructed the display driver to use. In some cases, it may be incorrect. This is the vertical refresh rate of your monitor, and it is listed in Hz. Make sure to select the highest one there. If there are no numbers, or the numbers don't go as high as they should according to the manual's specifications for that resolution, you'll need to install the correct driver for the monitor.

The driver for the monitor simply tells your OS which refresh rates can be used at which resolutions. Do this, and you should be able to select your vertical refresh rate of choice. If you cannot, and you can only select "Optimal", then do so. You will find out what refresh rates are being used in the next step anyway.

To ensure that the desired rate is what is actually being used, your monitor controls themselves should report the current vertical and horizontal refresh rates being sent to the monitor. It should say this somewhere in the onscreen menu (as Aiden pointed out). This will report the actual refresh rates as are being used, not just what windows thinks is being used.

There! You have a high resolution monitor set up for a high vertical refresh rate!

Now to calibrate the colour temperature...

Maybe I should write an article on this... I won't go into the nitty gritty of colour calibration now.

PS congratulations on buying a Trinitron monitor. They have excellent colour and contrast capabilities, and if calibrated properly will be ideal for graphic design applications. I am jealous.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 17, 2001 at 21:30.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well explained, mmj. You've taught me a few things, one of them being you can't spell my name (you got it wrong twice in this thread)

Glad to hear you are going with the Trinitron, Marc. It supports great refresh rates - I am running at 85Hz/1600x1200@32bit. I am very happy with my Trinitron besides the regular flicker and random weirdness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh Sorry Aidan! I should have looked more closely - very sorry.

It sounds like you have a great monitor setup! I only wish that I could afford to upgrade my current monitor - a 2 year old NEC monitor running 1024x768@83Hz - back in those days the fashionable refresh rate was only 75Hz - my monitor's recommended res/rate are 1024x768@75Hz. My modern eyes have now demanded more. I've pushed it as far as it can go using the Matrox monitor driver - my monitor will put up with it as high as 83Hz in this resolution.

I'd love to test out my graphics card's maximum res of 2048x1536 (4 times the pixels!) some day... but that day will wait until I can afford a new monitor.

I think the downside of an LCD panel right now is that this resolution (1024x768) costs more than it ever did in CRT (well, you know).
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, the monitor is one of thing's I'm looking forward to, but I'm more excited about finally getting Win2K and of course the rest of a new system which is now in production.

micmar, thanks for telling me how to find the refresh rate. I checked and it said "optimal", other options being 60, 70, and 75. What do I pick?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc, you should pick the highest numeric value.

Check in the monitor's manual if the monitor is capable of a higher refresh rate at that resolution.

Please read my post (above) for more info. I'd hate to think I wrote it for nothing
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    Marc, you should pick the highest numeric value.

Check in the monitor's manual if the monitor is capable of a higher refresh rate at that resolution.

Please read my post (above) for more info. I'd hate to think I wrote it for nothing
    Sure thing. But what does it mean by "optical"? It seems fine, but I'm wondering if other refresh rate options are better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Optimal" means that it will instruct the video driver to use the highest vertical refresh rate that it and the monitor driver can both support. This setting is dependant on having the correct monitor driver (and to a lesser extent, video driver).

Usually, but not necessarily, if there are numbers as well as an "optimal" setting, the optimal setting would have the same effect as the highest number.

The "optimal" setting is less likely to be consistent between monitor drivers, although as long as your monitor's on-screen display reports the correct rate, then you're fine.

Check to see that your monitor isn't capable of higher vertical refresh rates at that resolution.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I click on the menu button on my monitor I get three values (as well as the menu), the first is the resolution, the second is an KHz value and the third is an Hz value.

From mmj's previous posts I deduced that the Hz value is the vertical refresh rate, but what is the KHz value?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dominique

From mmj's previous posts I deduced that the Hz value is the vertical refresh rate, but what is the KHz value?
    I think you will find its the horizontal refresh rate Dominique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by micmar
    I think you will find its the horizontal refresh rate Dominique.
    Ahh, makes sense. Thanx!