SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: broadband phone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

broadband phone

what do you think about the broadband phone? I'm trying to find a list of companies that offer the service... so far I've found:

packet8.com
    vonage.com

Any others? (I'm not interested in PC-phone calls.. I want something that will hook up to my current telephone and routes calls over the net)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Portland Maine, TimeWarner Cable is offering Voice over IP. It is pretty cool. Cable TV, Internet and phone on the same coaxal cable. Who would have thought that one strand of copper could do so much.

Apparently we were the first test location for TimeWarner Cable's plunge into voice over IP, but they are supposed to be rolling it out to more areas over the coming year. The telephone plugs into a normal phone jack in the back of our cable modem right along side our ethernet jack for the computer.

The only draw back is that without an UPS for the modem, when power is lost, the digital phone is out as well. On the plus side we pay one flat rate for unlimited phone calls to anywhere in the lower 48 states.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that the bigger com companies are launching Voip services to compete with many of the smaller companies that offer the service.

I think what draws me to the service is that its pretty cheap. Packet8 offers unlimited calling and international rates are cheap. I can prank call Italy for 8 cents a minute..hahah. Also calling other packet8 members anyplace in the world is free. I'd be on their service now, but they don't yet offer number portability in my area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really a solution yet, but you could sign up for the beta test for Pheonix Satellite. The link is in my signature.
    Travis Watkins - Hyperactive Coder
    My Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Alacarte - Gnome Menu Editor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile PC to Phone Service

Here is another: PC to Phone Service
    http://ld.net/products/?product=delt...id=www.ld.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm actually considering going with Vonage pretty soon. Right now I just have my cellphone, but I'd also like to have a "home phone" as well. It seemed really cheap when I looked into it; startup charges were only about $60 and after that it was only $28/month for a mid-grade plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Vonage for almost a year now. I'm generally pretty happy with the service, but here are a few warnings:

1) Be sure to set up their Bandwidth Saver feature right away, if you end up going with them, you can do this through your account control panel. This will prevent lousy phone connections and frequent disconnects in your broadband connection.

2) If your power goes out, so does your phone. Likewise if your cable goes out (if you have a cable internet connection).

3) Every once in awhile, you'll find you don't have a dialtone, and you'll need to reboot your vonage equipment in order to restore it back to normal (this is pretty rare, but does happen).

4) Occasionally, the call quality can be pretty bad.... the line will sound choppy, distorted, or staticky. This is also mostly rare but can be pretty inconvenient when it does happen.

5) This one is strange, but worth noting. Even though your phone number will have the area code of your choice, anytime you call an 800 number that routes you based on your location (for instance, calling a local service company with a central 800 number, such as your cable company), you won't be routed to the correct place This is because your phone number originates from Vonage, not your local phone company. I've had several confusing experiences due to this.

6) This is minor, but you must dial a 1 before any number you call, even local ones.. which means you can't automatically call back a number in your caller id, since it won't dial the 1. This will also confuse any guests who use your phone and can't figure out why they keep getting a busy signal

Other than that, I love having a broadband phone due to the fact that I never pay for long distance. I hope this is useful to anyone considering getting a broadband phone, Vonage in particular.
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choose Packet8 Broadband Phone over the rest of the competition!

Below shows you why:

Company - PACKET8

Price is $19.95 plus 3% tax = $20.55

Upfront cost is $29.95 (Includes activation $10 and first months bill of $19.95)

Activation deal is subject to change and is only guaranteed when you go to the website provided and click on "update cart"

Vonage at $27.24 a month ($24.99 plus taxes)
    You save $6.69 a month and $80.28 a year with PACKET8.

Check out my profile! The link is on my page

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind $ isn't alway the main factor. I can't speak on packet8 service as I haven't used it, but I choose Vonage based on negative review of packet8 and postive ones of Vonage.

Vonage is also currently leading the industry as far as injecting new VOIP products and taking on regulators to keep costs down. I've had Vonage for almost a year now and have only experienced about 5 instances of iffy service. Twice b/c of the cable company and the other times just some static on the line which I've resolved by putting my ATA behind my wireless router and opening the proper ports.

ml

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Vonage now for about 4 months. It's freaking awesome! I have a local number, long distance anytime I want and all for $25/month. Not a bad deal. You can't tell it from a real phone. There are a few drawbacks I have found out:

1. Doesn't work great when you are using Xbox live. It sends a hiccup through the line every 15 minutes or so and it drops you from your game. I've only experience this in Halo 2, and it happened to a friend of mine as well. Once we disconnect the Vonage it works great

2. Tivo can't do the initial setup through Vonage very well. I did have a friend get this to work, but he had to do it late at night.

I would still recommend Vonage to anyone out there. It's a great deal, and good service to.

If your interested let me know and I'll send you a invite!