SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some search engines (Northern Light for example) show a date indicating when the page was created or last modified. My pages are listed with the notation "date not available". Is there a meta tag or an HTML coding convention that feeds this information to the robots/spiders?

Thanks,
    Wayne Kirton
    Wayne R. Kirton, Partner
    WKK Enterprises
    "Serving and supplying people who really care."
    www.wkirton.com wkirton@mail.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After taking a quick look at Northern Lights submission process, I found out that they don't use Meta tags to index your page. They use a natural language query and index the entire text of your page. This is good because your content is what counts in the rankings. Unfortunately you can't use keyword and description tags to help you.

The robot might just take a date on the page as the date it uses. You might try putting a last modified date in the lower left hand corner of your page if this is important to you. You can also contact Northern Light Customer Support for more help.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are certain meta tag schemes which have elements for different dates. AGLS (Australian Government Locator Service) which is based on the Dublin Core element set (http://purl.org/DC/index.htm) is one.

They have a date element among other things which can be used as in the examples below.

<meta name="DC.DATE.CREATED" content="November 01 2000">
    <meta name="DC.DATE.MODIFIED" content="November 13 2000">

I am not sure which (if any) search engines acknowledge these schemes though.. So unless Northern Light uses these meta tags, I doubt this will answer the original question. But it is good to know about the different meta information schemes anyway!
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books