SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating professional looking graphs/charts?

Hi,

I need to insert some charts/graphs into my website. I would like the graphs to look stylish and interesting - rather than the boring 2D ones you see often.

I am aware Excel makes very customisable graphs - but I am more interested in aesthetics more than anything else. Here is an example of the style I am looking for:

So as you can see, I'm looking for 3D capabilities, as well as shadowing and gradients. I have searched through heaps and heaps of graph programs on websites like download.com and tucows.com without any luck. The graph programs all seem to produce boring 2D looking crap.

In fact, the closest program that I have found to what I am looking for is called SWFChart, which turns the graphs into flash movies. http://www.globfx.com/products/swfchart/ Whilst animation would be a bonus on top of great looking graphs - it's $US99 which is too much for the 5 or so graphs I need to make!

So if anyone knows a program I can create really nice looking graphs (animated or non-animated) - I'd be very greatful!

Thanks in advance

Ben
    spg@wetfires.hypermart.net

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion, if you have Photoshop or Illustrator, is to create your own graphs that way. Illustrator has graph making capabilities; and in V10 you can also create custom shapes to use for the bars and whatnot.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. It is possible to make the graphs in Illustrator using data from a CSV or Excel file? Or is creating graphs quite a manual process?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was never aware that Illustrator supported making graphs.. but then again I really never used it very much.

Where can this tool/wizard/whatever be located within illustrator?
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetfires
    Thanks for the suggestion. It is possible to make the graphs in Illustrator using data from a CSV or Excel file? Or is creating graphs quite a manual process?
    Thanks
    Yes Illustrator can import data. I have not used imported date for graphs; but I imagine if it gives you the option it means it can at least read an Excel file for you, since they are the most common.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KandieMan101
    I was never aware that Illustrator supported making graphs.. but then again I really never used it very much.

Where can this tool/wizard/whatever be located within illustrator?
    The Graph tool, is simply that. It is it's own tool with a wide range of graph capabilities. It can be found directly above the gradient tool on the right hand side. ( 5th from the top on the right side.)