SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Resolving Soft Delete Unique Key Conflicts

The scenario here is that I never want users to delete data. Instead a delete will just hide items. However, the issue becomes that insertions fail for deleted items since they will still exists within the database. However, I still want all active items to respect unique key constraints. So I was thinking since the NULL value does not respect unique key constraints, that adding a field to my unique key constraint such as; activated would solve the issue.

unique key example:
    - sites_id
    - node_types_id
    - node_url
    - activated NULL

So when a something is deleted activated will be set to NULL, allowing new items to be added that may have the exact same signature. All active items will have a value of 1. Is this generally a good approach? This will be an internal safety measure making it possible to retrieve data that has been accidentally deleted through my applications user interface. I will than have a separate, development only purge method to ride the database of soft-deleted items, when necessary to completely remove items.

Also, I'm thinking it would be good to make activated an enum value, since it should only ever have a single value, 1 when it has a value. Thoughts on that? I know the general idea is to use tinyint but that *could* result in values other than 1. By using an enum its an absolute tha value will always be 1.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Never done this myself, but if it works it sounds like a great solution to me.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddz View Post
    So I was thinking since the NULL value does not respect unique key constraints, that adding a field to my unique key constraint such as; activated would solve the issue.
    what happened when you tested it?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Worked as expected.

Additionally perhaps there is a way to hide the rows with activated set to NULL from all queries? So that I don't have to add the necessary logic to my application layer via activated IS NOT NULL to everything. Essentially if activated is null I would like to treat the row as if doesn't exist as far as my application layer is concerned.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could assign each record a date which would mean the date the record was created. you then have a choice.

select col_name where
    date = ( select max(date)
    from your_table
    )

that will return the latest/lastly added, record

or you could have an end date col as well as a start date col. when the file is created, the end date is set to 0000-00-00. if you add a new record to replace the current one, it would be assigned an end date of 0000-00-00 but the earlier record could be given a date of curdate() - 1.

So your current/live records have an end date of 0000-00-00
    the archived/soft deleted have an end date < today.

benefits of this means you can have an archive of soft deletes going further back and of course the 'archive' will also have accidentally deleted items, which can be re-activated.

And if you would have loads of records in the table, you could split off the archived records into a new table of the same structure as the one you are using but, with the named archived in it somewhere

eg
    my_table
    my_table_archived

benefits:
    you can re-instate accidentally deleted files/records
    you can re-activate any one of numerous previous records without the need to re-enter them

hth

bazz

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That won't work, think about it.

- nodes_id
    - node_types_id
    - sites_id
    - created_on_timestamp

At least, not unless everything is created at the same time…

Splitting up the table is not something I feel is necessary at this point.