User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Beginner Hosting question :(

Hi hoping someone could help me out. Just getting into the whole rookie web design world, if someone sold me a website and transferred it to my hosting account can I work on the files directly through the hosting panel or do I have to copy the files to my computer, work on them, and then upload them to the server?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the host gives you some kind of online file editor, then you can use that. But not every host has such a thing.

Plus you run the risk of losing the only copy of the website you have if you mess something up editing the files. I'd recommend at least downloading them once and making a copy separate from the one you work on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Dan said, you should at least have a copy on the hard drive of your own computer. Not many hosts offer an online editor, but, there are some out there that allow live editing. Dreamweaver does, and if your going to be doing web design for a serious hobby or living, I suggest you invest in that. When I design sites I like how it shows you what your source code looks like. You will still have to have at least a basic knowledge of HTML/CSS to use it. But, it has an auto fill option to it. If you are typing code into the code window, it will show you the options to go with it in alphabetical order. Such as you type
    Code:
    <a
    it will pop up with a list of things that go with it, you type the first letter of what goes next, such as h for href, and it will go right to the h's. I love it. It can make projects much faster, but, it could lead to laziness if your not careful.

Dreamweaver is expensive though, I know there are a couple of open source online file editor's, I just can't think of them right off the top of my head.

Remember, always keep backups of your site no matter if your host says they do or not. I keep at least 3 copies plus a hard copy on a disk of all my sites and their Databases. Same thing with my personal and work computers.
    Host LonestarLonestar the client is the lone star.
    Succeed with Google New community just set up. Stop by
    Texas Discussion Texas blog/forum. Blog updated regularly.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those hosts that do offer an online editor are offering those editors that lie in the botton 5&#37; of editors - almost every web editor that you can get that runs on your own computer will be better and most will be millions of times better.

Most people who try out the online editors are posting questions in forums a few weeks later asking how to do more advanced things that their chosen editor can't do (or if it can no one knows how because everyone wanting something that advanced has downloaded an editor to their own computer and uses that instead).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post

Most people who try out the online editors are posting questions in forums a few weeks later asking how to do more advanced things that their chosen editor can't do (or if it can no one knows how because everyone wanting something that advanced has downloaded an editor to their own computer and uses that instead).
    That was me last summer when I was learning how to do it all inside of my host's Editor. Fortunately, it was just basic html and my buddy was able to help me fix it quickly.
    Dewey
    DedicatedNow.com
    Servers from $49.95!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, a lot of web hosts do offern an online site builder. But, it is usually horrible bloated code. Things like RVSitebuilder, Click Be!, and Parallels Sitebuilder, the sitebuilders they offer through their hosting. Not advisable if you are going to be doing web designs for money though. Great for a fast site publishing, for a place holder or something.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to bother learning how to use and work around a web based website builder, perhaps you might as well start using a CMS (joomla/drupal/wordpress etc), learn the basics of HTML, and edit a template to make it fit your needs. You might not even feel the need to do the editing part. With the numerous free templates that can be found for these CMSes, one is bound to catch your eyes and fit your needs.

Whatever road you choose, Dan gave you a great advice. Always have a backup of your important data.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you need to value that on your own. If web desing is very important for you (That IS important) you'd better not save money on it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's better to download it on your computer and work there,so you can have a backup anytime

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best option would be to copy the backup to your PC, make the changes and then upload it using FTP softwares like CuteFTP or Frontpage Software.
    ------------
    hzSari | HostingZoom.com
    ModVPS.com | ResellerZoom.com
    Power Speed Reliability

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MS Frontpage is horribly obsolete. They have stopped supporting it. CuteFTP is decent. I personally use Filezilla. If you decide to get Dreamweaver, they have a built in FTP program in it, however, I don't use it so I don't know how good it is.

Filezilla is free

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frontpage was replaced in Microsoft's product lineup with Expression Web 2. They're competing head on with Dreamweaver now and priced it about $120 less.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are just a beginner, I suggest to take a backup to your computer and use any freeware [ Compozer is a good one ] editor to edit them as you want. Even it has a built in ftp client too.
    ►ExpertWebHost.NET- Quality, reliable hosting service since 2008
    ►Instant Budget CPanel hosting- 24x7 Support
    ►Litespeed- Softaculous- RVSitebuilder- R1Soft backups
    SEO Hosting- Spread your websites on 10 servers with A Class IPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If plan to design and sell sites in the future, i'd recommend to use dreamweaver (use code mode) and photoshop for all your design works. Don't forget to backup files before making any major changes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaki22 View Post
    If plan to design and sell sites in the future, i'd recommend to use dreamweaver (use code mode) and photoshop for all your design works. Don't forget to backup files before making any major changes.
    I second that, and recommend using a separate FTP client.

SeaMonkey's web page editor is called Composer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [ Compozer is a good one ]
    Just noting that it's spelled Kompozer, so that the OP can search for it using a search engine and find it easily.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Just noting that it's spelled Kompozer, so that the OP can search for it using a search engine and find it easily.
    That editor has actually undergone a couple of name changes.

It was originally called Composer, then NVU, and now Kompozer. With each name change a new group have taken over development of the open source code and so browsers under all three names are available and work similarly but with the more recent names having slightly more advanced features.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 tip from me make sure there aren't hidden pay checks you've got to pay without that you knew it before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was originally called Composer
    Learn something new everyday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Learn something new everyday.
    That is correct as something new appears everyday and that is needed to be learned.
    Good tools or services do cost money and if you are looking to be professional better to spend some money (invest in further project)
    That is my opinion
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice everybody, alot of good information! Looks like I'm going to go with Dreamweaver's built in FTP feature for now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf597 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice everybody, alot of good information! Looks like I'm going to go with Dreamweaver's built in FTP feature for now.
    Dreamweaver is really a great program, you should be pleased with the integration abilities.
    JaguarPC.com
    Over 10 Years of Web Hosting Experience
    Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers and More

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any experience with the FTP built into Dreamweaver? It refuses to connect to my webhost and I'm fairly certain I have the login information set up correctly.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf597 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the FTP built into Dreamweaver? It refuses to connect to my webhost and I'm fairly certain I have the login information set up correctly.
    Yes, to be frank it's junk. They still don't support TLS encrypted FTP sessions for example. We always recommend to our customers that they use a separate FTP program rather than use the built in DW one.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan mentioned expression web 2 in an earlier post, competing with dreamweaver. How do they compare. I'm thinking of getting ex. web 2 because of the price difference. It also works with php sites.
    Thanks,
    John