Write What You Know

Okay, I'm not after a writing gig .. unless J.K. Rowling might be looking for a co-author for her next series. But I have some ideas about writing for the web.

In quite a few articles on writing, I've read that a good content writer can produce good articles on any non-technical subject. One problem with that concept is that very few subjects are completely non-technical.

During my web surfing I see quite a lot of content that is obviously written from researching a subject rather than from long-term or expanded knowledge of a subject. To me, those pieces just don't sound very authoritative. And we all want authority sites don't we.

So how does a good content writer find work?

One way is to select an area or niche and become an expert. Okay, maybe not an expert, but gain a comfort level with the subject. Extensive reading of diverse sub-topics of a discipline helps. And if you pay attention, you can improve your grammar at the same time.

If you already have an area of expertise, hone it and expand it. Look for closely related niches and add those you your portfolio.

Pay attention to narrative voice and the writing style that fits the subject. Reinventing literary wheels can occasionally produce gems, but will more than likely produce groans. Learn the lingo. I don't mean just look up the words. Learn the nuances and subtle usages. It's actually embarrassing to read an article by an author who is trying to write beyond the comfort level of their vocabulary.

A writer coming from the non-technical side of a subject, and has learned a subject well, has one distinct advantage. That advantage is in presenting the subject in a manner that is simple enough for laymen to understand.

Once you have reached a comfort zone with a subject, market your abilities directly to sites in that sector. Why? Easier assignments, better productivity and more money.

copyright claimed by author (don't steal my hard work)