SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Display and Sort rss.xml in HTML page content area

I am helping to prepare a new website for our church... Currently the Pastors edit the rss.xml to add audio files of their sermons.. Example format:

<item>
    <title>In Our Own Language</title>
    <description>Pastor Mark: 5/27/2007</description>
    <enclosure url="http://www.bethlehemluth.org/sermonfiles/InOurOwnLanguage.mp3" length="9843328" type="audio/mpeg" />
    <pubDate>Tue, 29 May 2007 19:10:14 GMT</pubDate>
    </item>

They also make an entry into the html file with a link. Currently these are in earliest to latest order, we also want to put the latest first in the list. (or at least have that option) Example format:

<li><a href="sermonfiles/TheBigPicture.mp3">The
    Big Picture: 3/6/2005</a></li>

I would like to save them the pain of doing things twice and provide them a way to just edit the XML file and put the file on the server.

Option 1
    I could change the xml format (putting the date in a different field) and write a php script to display the same xml file (latest to earliest date) on the html page. I think I could use the simpleXML library functions to do this.... I don't seem to find an option to sort the output however.

Option 2
    Another consideration might be to use XSLT to format the data, but I can't seem to find out how to embed this in my HTML file.

Is there an better/easier way to do this? Any suggestions or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have the thing thing for you. I just finished writing a whole php/mysql app for this very purpose for my church. I have PM'ed you.