Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bandwidth scaleability, where to start?

Hi all,

This is a general question I have for those who have managed high-end traffic websites or know about how sites like Facebook/Myspace handled the high traffic (in terms of bandwidth).

I want to start off a few websites. I know that it will take time to build the traffic, but there is the "what if" question of whether it takes off gets spotlighted by Digg or other social networking sites. If this happens, obviously my 100GB of bandwidth on a reseller host will be exceeded.

How do you start off your website? I'm in a bind. I don't want to put in too much money yet, as it won't be profitable, but at the same time I don't want to have to run into the issue of if the site takes off, it is down because now I have to look for a server, etc. to move it to.

What are your steps to solve this problem? How did sites like Facebook or Myspace handle this? Did they start off on a reseller or shared host and then migrate to a server or did they start on a private server to begin with?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Baggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a good host with a range of products. I have upgraded twice already, although still on a 60Gb reseller. But I am totally confident that if need be one phone call / email will get me upgraded to a bigger server. The last upgrade was done in no time. SO, shop around, look for a quality server, with great customer service, that you can stay with for your whole business lifespan.