User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

php.ini files and mail() not working

hey guys...

I managed to get my mail() function working... apparently! Even though there is no error/warning message when I load my website, which is under localhost, I find that I am not receiving any mails!

My company uses a proxy server and stuff, and I managed to obtain the SMTP as well as IP address of the mail server. I first tried changing the php.ini file in C:\PHP4 but it didn't work. I then had a burst of inspiration and changed the php.ini file in C:\WINNT instead. Doing this got rid of the warnings, but where'd my email go to?? It's been 2 hours since I sent it!!

Question: Am I doing the right thing??

Here's what I am editing, the php.ini file in C:\WINNT

[mail function]
    ; For Win32 only.
    SMTP = 198.175.120.143

and then in my webpage, a line reads:
    mail("infinitium@hotmail.com", "My Subject", "Line 1\nLine 2\nLine 3");

No error messages or warnings. I tried running my own virtual SMTP server via Internet Services Manager in Admin Tools under Windows 2000 Pro. I get a warning when I change the php.ini file to read

mail function]
    ; For Win32 only.
    SMTP = localhost

Any ideas? Input would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I had a similar prob.....

The mail() function would not give any errors....but it never arrived in my HOTMAIL inbox.....

I finally figured out that the web hosting company's server (i used to use Portland) i was hosted on had been flagged for spamming by Hotmail and therefore the mail never reached.

I then tried sending the mail to a smaller and less well know free email provider and the mail came through

This could be whats happening to you....try sending the mail to some other email address.