SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Briefly, I don't see a problem as long as the "linkbait" isn't misleading or otherwise used to funnel a visitor into a deception.

Evan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see linkbait as being different than simply having good content. When I write about a certain movie, my readers will tell their friends, "IG said this is a good film, and I trust her." When I create linkbait, they say, "Dude! You have to go see this. Here's the link!!" In this case, the good content creates long-term readers, but doesn't necessarily help bring in new links and visitors. And the linkbait won't necessarily create a long-term reader, but it will get lots of people linking to me, and lots of people talking about my site.

They both have a place, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with content rather than linkbaiting.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Cutt's take on linkbaiting
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some interesting takes on what linkbaiting is or is not. There's no reason why quality content and linkbaiting can't go together, but they're not necessarily the same thing. It's often a question of how content is presented more than anything else.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    You're not describing link bait. You're just talking about trying to get visitors to the site without caring if they link to the content or not.
    I wasn't describing link bait in that post. I was actually replying to a person's point that the quality of the 'baited' visitors might not be worth it, because they would just come for the content.

Not every visitor to a site is able to link.

My point about link bait is that not every niche or community contains sites that are mostly text content, but adding some might be a good idea because it could attract links. People's art portfolios would not be made essentially better by adding articles, except for the fact that articles are generally more linkable, and search engine friendly then the actual content.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe linkbait will work short term, and the good content will keep them on coming back

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myDOMAINion View Post
    Maybe linkbait will work short term, and the good content will keep them on coming back
    IF long term visitors are what you're trying to achieve by using linkbait. I use linkbait to get links to boost my relevancy on the SERP and hope that the visitors are going to come from there, not necessarily from the links themselves but that's not the only way to use it.

Linkbait is content designed to attract links, nothing more.

Even the original thread question 'is it good', is too subjective and not really meaningful without a context, plus there is no risk.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linkbaiting is a new name for something people have been doing for a long time anyway. Unfortunately, "bait" sounds negative to begin with... who wants to be thought of as a hungry bass?

Whether linkbait is good or bad depends on how it's used. Either way, thinking about turning your content into linkbait has gotta put you in a certain mindset. How do I make this content SO GOOD that people will want to link to it?

If you look at it as a challenge to deliver good content and kick it up a notch, I don't see linkbait as bad.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are spot on victoria_neely . Apart from the hungry bass bit, that confused me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you consider a posting contest linkbait - one where a person must link to the contest from their own blog in order to "enter" the contest?

Are these an effective way of pulling in an audience or are you just creating a bunch of meaningless links that gain you nothing but a temporary boost in traffic?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Good content is the best way to attact links.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    I think you are spot on victoria_neely . Apart from the hungry bass bit, that confused me.
    Oh, maybe I should have said hungry fish. Sorry.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthiab View Post
    Would you consider a posting contest linkbait - one where a person must link to the contest from their own blog in order to "enter" the contest?
    That doesn't really fall under the concept of "link bait".

Are these an effective way of pulling in an audience or are you just creating a bunch of meaningless links that gain you nothing but a temporary boost in traffic?
    It can be a decent way to get some links. How it works out will depend on a variety of factors.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an attempt at linkbait.

It's been spammed in other webbie forums too, in text book "link bait" fashion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link bait is content on your site to which other sites link naturally because they want to, not because you ask them to. It creates more links to your site, which really do help you in the web promotion. you don't have to get on your knees and beg for the links because you will get many links naturally. Quality of link bait should be not just great but it should be good looking.(Good colors scheme). A great “title” for your link baiting.(It has capacity to convert your visitors into costumers). Add images to your link bait beside each paragraph.(Image will change your mind perceptions on it). Post your link bait in blogs and forums. Add social bookmarking websites links at the bottom of your link bait. Launch your link baiting articles on social bookmarking sites.(Please choose an appropriate time when you think most of the visitors will be online at that time).

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virkais View Post
    Link bait is content on your site to which other sites link naturally because they want to, not because you ask them to. It creates more links to your site, which really do help you in the web promotion. you don't have to get on your knees and beg for the links because you will get many links naturally. Quality of link bait should be not just great but it should be good looking.(Good colors scheme). A great “title” for your link baiting.(It has capacity to convert your visitors into costumers). Add images to your link bait beside each paragraph.(Image will change your mind perceptions on it). Post your link bait in blogs and forums. Add social bookmarking websites links at the bottom of your link bait. Launch your link baiting articles on social bookmarking sites.(Please choose an appropriate time when you think most of the visitors will be online at that time).
    We're not looking for a definition of link baiting. We're discussing the concept of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually this will depend on who links to you. If an authority and relevant site links to your site, it would definitely help in SEO
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management