SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Efficient Mac web design/development setup?

I just recently got a Mac. I'm currently running TextMate, and I think it's amazing. However, the lack of FTP integration is a GIANT hole in my opinion.

I also tried Coda, and it's the exact opposite; I find the editor to be so-so, but I am in love with the FTP integration.

In the end, the editor definitely wins out for me, so TextMate it is, along with CyberDuck. However, I definitely feel the downside of my choice when I need to do frequent FTP transfer in a project (thankfully most of them don't require this, but some do).

What setup are you fellow Mac-users running? Any ideas for improving my FTP efficiency?
    jakeboxer.com (my portfolio)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if I was doing PHP development, I would be testing locally and only use FTP to push to the server once the new code was ready to be deployed. So I normally FTP in one swift move. Personally I use Transmit for that.

When developing in Ruby on Rails I use SVN & Capistrano to manage my code & deploy.

If you are looking for full integration, I believe Dreamweaver and Aptana (free OSS) offer that as an option.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, FTP integration isn't something I demand from a text editor. I've always viewed it as a separate function and quite happily use Transmit for FTP alongside TextMate.

BBEdit has integrated FTP functionality, and that's a great, proven editor itself. There's a cut-down free version of BBEdit, TextWrangler, which I think also includes the built-in FTP functionality.

FTP functionality aside, another app I use regularly and would recommend checking out, is CSSEdit. Not for it's WYSIWYG interface, but for the excellent syntax highlighting/editing and its value in debugging live stylesheets.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing I ever did was install MAMP for MacOSX. (search google)

I use Transmit for FTP but admit I like that Dreamweaver does publishing.