SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How "Bad" Are E_STRICT errors?

Another thread in the forum prompted me to just install the latest stable release of Joomla just to have a quick look at what it's like. On my WAMP (running php version 5.2.6 ) server, I have set it to include the display of E_STRICT errors and when viewing the "home page" for Jooma on the WAMP server it has over 4,000 E_STRICT errors. Would they mainly be from php4 ("legacy") code in Joomla? Are they something to worry about?
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    Another thread in the forum prompted me to just install the latest stable release of Joomla just to have a quick look at what it's like. On my WAMP (running php version 5.2.6 ) server, I have set it to include the display of E_STRICT errors and when viewing the "home page" for Jooma on the WAMP server it has over 4,000 E_STRICT errors. Would they mainly be from php4 ("legacy") code in Joomla? Are they something to worry about?
    Most likely yes, they are due to backward compatability with php4.
    These are not serious, but they may indicate that at some point of future releases of php something may not work correctly. E_STRICT errors with current version of php may become errors in future versions of php.
    Basically they indicate problems with forward compatability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    E_STRICT notices are like having someone remind you their middle name is Sarah when you call their first and last name during roll call.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joebert View Post
    E_STRICT notices are like having someone remind you their middle name is Sarah when you call their first and last name during roll call.
    Only if all people with middle names of Sarah are going to be shot at dawn tomorrow so that there aren't any more of them.

All the code currently giving those errors in PHP 5 has already been removed from PHP 6 so that it is guaranteed that it will not work there. The warning is telling people that they need to fix the code before upgrading to the next version because the code they are currently using has been deprecated and will not be in the next version.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, no decent developer should allow any kind of errors to get into his application - be it strict, normal, fatal(!), even warning and notices should be fixed.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if all people with middle names of Sarah are going to be shot at dawn tomorrow so that there aren't any more of them.
    I actually look at it more as if the person making roll call should start including the middle names during roll call from then on to prevent conflicts between people with the same first and last name as the group grows in size.

I guess I can understand your analogy when considering function names like "die()" and all though.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    To be honest, no decent developer should allow any kind of errors to get into his application - be it strict, normal, fatal(!), even warning and notices should be fixed.
    I have the error reporting ratcheted up to the max so I can eliminate all errors. It looks like those behind Joomla have a fair bit of work to do to update the code ready for php6 (if php6 ever gets released, AFAIK it is only out as an evaluation)
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of widespread applications contain extremely poor standards of code.... Joomla happens to be one of them.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona