SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have tried to defragment my hard drive for the past week, and it has never gotten past "1%". The computer doesn't freeze, but it just stays at 1% the whole time. I left my pc on all night when I tried to defragment the drive all those times.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

My computer is running fine and I am able to run scan disk without any problems at all.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you run ScanDisk in the standard mode or the thorough mode? You should definately run it in the thorough mode before anything else. If it fails, I'd love to know what's wrong with it. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I think I ran it in Standard Mode....I will try Thorough Mode and see if that works.

I never thought about that.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ScanDisk doesn't solve the problem, chances are that you have extra apps open. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL once and select any item except "Explorer" and click "End Task". Repeat this until nothing except Explorer is left. Now run Defrag. It should work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aidan, good idea. I will do that when I run scandisk tonight.

Chris Roane

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, in Windows 98, go to Start: Run and type "msconfig" (no quotes). Go to the Startup tab and clear out all the things that you don't want to load at startup. This should speed up your computer a bit.

Be careful when you do this. I don't think you can harm your system by clearing out too much here, but you might. Better to be safe than sorry, so only clear what you are sure you don't want to load at startup.

Have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After clicking control alt delete to close everything but explorer make sure you ALSO keep open systray. You always need at least explorer and systray open.

Also, the last tip is a good one, but it hard cause the names of the files run are usually very cryptic, and sometimes are needed to keep your computer running smoothly. For example you mgiht need to run a program when the computer starts up to get your scanner working or to start your virusscan. Just no what you are closing before you close it.

PS, I found a good website that had a list of common files run at startup and listed the ones you could close. I wish I still knew the name...maybe I bookmarked it...if someone knows what I am talking about (or I find it) make sure to tell me!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't really need systray. I've heard from multiple sources that you do, but from my own experiece, Windows will opereate just the same if you exit systray.

Also, you can exit explorer, but it'll load itself up again.

In a really bad crash, you can exit EVERYTHING that windows has running, including Explorer.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to turn off the screensavers too... sometimes they will cause defrag to just keep restarting even though the screen saver hasn't come on yet. Also Antivirus software will cause this but if you follow the advice of the previous posts the antivirus part will be taken care of.

good luck!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also boot into Safe Mode and then quit all of the (few) apps which would be running. That way there would be fewer apps to close, the only ones being explorer and maybe a few others like systray. You also wouldn't have to fight with Norton or McAfee to close it like you usually do.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have any McAfee programs installed, uninstall them if you want to use the built-in Windows utilities such as scandisk or defrag. The new McAfee programs access the drive and cpu so much that it makes these utilities worthless.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I should be going to bed in an hour or so, and I will make sure I do most everything you guys suggested. I will let you know if it works or not.

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wluke: I do have that virus program installed. That might be the reason why it isn't working.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I ran the maintanence wizard with the "Thorough" option selected for ScanDisk, I turned off the screesaver, I shutdown a few programs (but not that many, because most of them I didn't have any clue what they were), I closed down Mcaffee Virus Scan, and I made sure no programs were open at the time. I went to bed right after I turned it on, and when I got back on this morning, there wasn't anything on the screen. I am assumming that it worked, because I am 100% positive that the Maintanence Wizard started when I left.

I am not sure what I did that made it work this time, but I know I am going to do everything you guys suggested in this thread, everytime I want to run scandisk.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everytime you run scandisk? dont you mean defragger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, that's right. Sorry about that.