User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not successful in deriving traffic to this forum

Hello

I have started many forums (about 20) for people and myself (most of them have more than 10,000 messages and some of them over 1000 members).

While at first I taught it is a very good idea to start this forum it has been completely unsuccessful until now (after may be 5 months).

Yesterday I converted phpBB forum software to invision board in the hope that better colors an appearence can help.

Mrriage is something that concerns everyone but :

1- I can not find successful ways to promote it
    2- People hardly contribute to these forums.

Would you please give me some advice and your opinions?

http://marriageforums.com

Thank you,
    Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you could advertise a little, find a similar site that doesn't have a forum and perhaps suggest an affiliation with them...

Make some 'general' chat threads that everyone can join into, like what's your age, if you're crafty, religious or tender issue threads always get people to bite

Create a bit of an atmosphere for visitors and make them feel welcome

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    platinum

Thank you. I will try all of your advices.

More advice ... ?

Mac

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... One thing, your forums are called Marriage Forums and there isn't a single forum there dedicated to marriage.

Where are the planning forums? Vendor forums? Forums to let the brides vent about frustrations?

Take a look at your competitors in this field... They are big and they are mighty. They also each have a large group of chatty brides.

www.theknot.com
    www.ultimatewedding.com
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forums can be really difficult to get started... Until you have 5-10 regular contributors, your forums will be pretty much dead and a dead message board can be easily spotted, so people will not post anything. It took me 3 months to get my forums started and although there is lots of regulars, there are still periods when they are pretty much dead.

A good recommendation I can give is to start with a minimum of forums, I'm sure that there is 2-3 forums on your site that you could remove or merge with other forums. Also having a website to go with the forum helps a lot. SPF would not be as popular without SitePoint (and SitePoint would not be as popular without SPF!)... Also my forums really started to get interests when I launched a sister content-based site.
    Sebastien Rosset
    :: Commercial: BlackSonic | ScriptsCenter
    :: Non-Profit: VJCentral | ReclaimYourSoul