User Tag List

Thread: Image Hosting

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image Hosting

I did a search here at SP regarding this, but found mostly threads of image hosts for sale and a few discussing scripts to do this.

What I'm trying to determine is how the money is with image hosting. If anyone who owns/operates an image hosting site (or anyone that knows about this) does not mind sharing the info, I would appreciate it.

I'm looking for info such as CPM/eCPM, the types of advertising that works well on image hosting websites, recommended ad networks, various ways to earn revenues with that type of site, etc, etc.

Feel free to include any other info that you think may be useful as well. I'd like to learn as much as possible before potentially jumping into the market.

Thanks in advance,

John
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine that margins are pretty tight in such an oversaturated market, but those with an established market share like imageshack are probably doing ok.

For many, imagehosting is just a way to cover costs of a server and uses up some unused resources such as webspace and bandwidth.

I don't run an imagehost though

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a photo hosting site. It is not a typical image hosting site in that it is designed specifically for newspaper classifieds. We offer free trial photos and charge for additional photos. I make $ when someone hosts more than 2 photos plus I make some money with adsense. I just began promoting the site and I feel the future of the site is promising.

With a general free image hosting site, I am not sure how much revenue you can make especially using up all that bandwidth. There are so many of these sites out there, I would be curious to know myself how they make $.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Image hosts don't use that much bandwidth. I run a file hosting site which uses way more bandwidth then an image host and I still manage to cover the fees.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you limit hotlinking you can control bandwidth quite a bit

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was managing PPC for a life insurance company, and YPN sent massive $1+ CPC traffic from imageshack.us. None of it converted. I guess it really depends on whether you want to plaster ads in convenient places or you care about ripping off advertisers.

With Image Shack, they were putting a single text ad next to the thumbnail of the uploaded picture. On one occasion, I clicked the text ad because it looks like it should be the link to view the full size image. Now they've got an image ad up there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's pretty hard from my experience, or better to say, enough to cover bills but hard to earn something serious coz you see mostly these cheapest ads on your page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 2 image hosts targetted at 2 entirely different market segments.

The general one covers costs and uses around 50-80Gig/mth, the Adult image one is a subscription service and it does pretty good - I more than cover costs.

As noted already the market is pretty saturated, and the main reason I started both of these is becasue I have a server with a heap of resources to spare and saw this as a way of putting just a few $$ towards the costs

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RRWH
    I run 2 image hosts targetted at 2 entirely different market segments.

The general one covers costs and uses around 50-80Gig/mth, the Adult image one is a subscription service and it does pretty good - I more than cover costs.

As noted already the market is pretty saturated, and the main reason I started both of these is becasue I have a server with a heap of resources to spare and saw this as a way of putting just a few $$ towards the costs
    How many unique visitors and image uploads to you get for the site that uses 50-80gb a month? Also, is there a good script or something that you recommend for an image upload site?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one popular and one new image hosting site.

The popular one will reach it's 80,000th upload any second. I do no have any ads on it, when I did it was making something silly like $7 or $8 a month. It currently serves a million or more images a day and receives 1000 - 2000 uploads a day.

The second site is image hosting for a specific topic and is 4 days old, it has already made $10 and has a little over 2000 uploads.

In my experience I would say the key is to be focused. General image hosting is too wide a range of topics to get ads relevant to the viewers.

Hotlinking is something which you pretty much have to allow, the ratio of images I serve to remove pages vs. viewed on pages I can advertise is something like 200:1, so it is increasingly important (in my opinion) to be targetting something specific.

Bandwidth-wise I use up to about 20gb per day.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all very much for the info, I appreciate it. I'm still considering to start an image hosting service, but may limit it to being a service for members of a graphic design forum that I publish. When I initially searched SitePoint many of the threads were of image hosts that either are or were listed for sale here at SP. I was a bit skeptical as it seemed that many were trying to get out of the image hosting market. Well, either that or image hosting is such a great business that there are many image hosting websites around.

Quote Originally Posted by fkr
    The popular one will reach it's 80,000th upload any second. I do no have any ads on it, when I did it was making something silly like $7 or $8 a month. It currently serves a million or more images a day and receives 1000 - 2000 uploads a day.
    You were earning $7-$8 per month while serving a million+ images a day? How many page views on your site did that amount to? Seems really low for a site with such high traffic.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site only receives 3000 - 4000 pageviews a day. Most people (somewhere around 99%) just want to embed the image they upload, not a thumb or link.

Of course if you don't allow hotlinking then you may get much more pageviews, or much less usage.

PS. It'll hit 86,000 uploads today. It's been a slow week