SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Domain became PR8... I dunno how!

This domain which I have is showing Page Rank 8 . I have checked it at 6 different sites ( SEOChat.com, PageRank.net, StarGeek.com's PR checker tools and IE Google Toolbar) and yes, it is PR8.

But i don't know how it got there and trust me, I am afraid of putting it on sale in open cos I might not have answers for people how it got PR 8.

The domain is www.spamup.com.

Can someone tell me how I got this PR 8!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm getting PR of 2 in my Google toolbar. Maybe you need to remove your 4x glasses that you are wearing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR Cloaking.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm getting 8.

what's PR cloaking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR cloaking is when you set a 301 redirect from your domain to another one, then when PR updates, you remove the redirect.

Check the domains backlinks. Its obviously cloaked.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    PR Cloaking.
    How exactly do you do that I want my other sites to show PR8 too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a fake PR. A toolbar bug, really. Your internal PR won't be 8, and you wont be passing that much PR to any sites you link so, it's not worth the trouble.

Cloaking was used to scam people for text links and to sell domains, but these days most people know better.
    Mike

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah sites a PR 2 and Im not real sure how it even got THAT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    yeah sites a PR 2 and Im not real sure how it even got THAT!
    Do I get panelized by G for putting links in there?

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Brar
    Do I get panelized by G for putting links in there?
    I honestly dont think you ever had a PR8 .... theres NO WAY you would make me believe Google would PR8 a page that has NOTHING on it... I done care if you had 10,000 links to it ... just aint gonna happen. Hell the bbc has a 9 ... now HOW is an empty page gonna do a 8? ... let be real here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    I honestly dont think you ever had a PR8 .... theres NO WAY you would make me believe Google would PR8 a page that has NOTHING on it... I done care if you had 10,000 links to it ... just aint gonna happen. Hell the bbc has a 9 ... now HOW is an empty page gonna do a 8? ... let be real here!
    Even I don't believe how I can get a PR 8 but I still put a link to my REAL sites. Might be a glitch in some of G's datacenters. SEOChat.com, PageRank.net and StarGeek.com's Tools all show PR 8. So I thought why not put a link It may raise a PR of my actual site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Reminds me of PR 100 Incident

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, it won't raise your other sites' PR. It's a glitch.
    Mike

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Brar
    That Reminds me of PR 100 Incident

Nice story

If you really did have the weight of a PR100 like in the story, in theory you could be making tens of millions from Adsense every day. Think about that wet dream... Your adsense snippet on nearly every top G search. OMG! Well, cool story anyway.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, your PR is 8 on my end as I write this, but if it's a trick or just a G error, it's value is useless. It's just the wrong price tag in a sense. It will be corrected as quickly as you got it.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...but I'll go out on a limb here anyways buddy. Hey, I'll give you $20 for your domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just saw another domain that has the same "cpanel there is no website configured..." message and it too had a PR of 8. it must be using a 301 redirect to send you to that error page and that error page has a PR of 8?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horowitz
    ...but I'll go out on a limb here anyways buddy. Hey, I'll give you $20 for your domain
    Check your PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog
    i just saw another domain that has the same "cpanel there is no website configured..." message and it too had a PR of 8. it must be using a 301 redirect to send you to that error page and that error page has a PR of 8?

No, the error page has no PR. It's more of a scam than a glitch. Lord Brar set up a redirect, then when PR updated for the toolbar, he took the redirect off. The site keeps the toolbar PR, but it has no internal PR at all, and it doesnt pass that PR on.

Lord Brar would have had to know what he's doing, unless he just bought the name off someone else. Its been posted many times on SPF and around the web how to do this.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the error page has no PR. It's more of a scam than a glitch. Lord Brar set up a redirect, then when PR updated for the toolbar, he took the redirect off. The site keeps the toolbar PR, but it has no internal PR at all, and it doesnt pass that PR on.

Lord Brar would have had to know what he's doing, unless he just bought the name off someone else. Its been posted many times on SPF and around the web how to do this.
    heh. If I had intentionally done it then do you really think that I'd have posted it here.

I was using the domain for a site which I then moved to CafeMX.com (and sold to Brandon Eley). I setup the redirection from cPanel to redirect the domain to CafeMX.com.

And no, I hardly read SEO forums I stick to good old marketing techniques and that is why I have left both SEOing of my sites and managing the SEO section at my Marketing Site in signature to someone else.

Now I understand that I did something that I shouldn't have (in terms of SEO) without knowing that I was doing it. But hell! It is not my job to keep spying G to see what bugs do they have in their software. I had to redirect from SpamUp.com to my other site, so I did. I don't care if Google gives id PR 10 or PR 100

Anyway, Thanks for telling me about this whole thing. Now I got one more think in my knowledge vault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And, I'd take it that you were trying to call me a scammer above. Isn't is always better to ask for Facts before accusing someone of doing something wrong intentionally?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in the 'Lords' defense (buddy, you gotta change that name as it is really lame) I really doubt he'd try to fool the sharks here at SP. I mean, we live (at least I do) to shred people like that apart. I think he's either clueless or was duped himself.

Sorry 'Lord', but we only want to know 'what' you did exactly (even though we all have fairly good ideas as to what it was). Just say it dude so we can all laugh about it with you. But please don't play the babe in the woods routine at SP. This is not the place to plead ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horowitz
    Well, in the 'Lords' defense (buddy, you gotta change that name as it is really lame) I really doubt he'd try to fool the sharks here at SP. I mean, we live (at least I do) to shred people like that apart. I think he's either clueless or was duped himself.

Sorry 'Lord', but we only want to know 'what' you did exactly (even though we all have fairly good ideas as to what it was). Just say it dude so we can all laugh about it with you. But please don't play the babe in the woods routine at SP. This is not the place to plead ignorance.
    I was using the domain for a site which I then moved to CafeMX.com (and sold to Brandon Eley). I setup the redirection from cPanel to redirect the domain to CafeMX.com. The redirection was removed once the site was sold. And hence, the PR got cloaked

Now I understand that I did something that I shouldn't have (in terms of SEO) without knowing that I was doing it.

On a sidenote, Lord is my Real Name , not a username

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, just trying to understand. http://www.cafemx.com/ isn't PR8 - so how could a redirect to that site generate the fake PR8?
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anat
    Ok, just trying to understand. http://www.cafemx.com/ isn't PR8 - so how could a redirect to that site generate the fake PR8?

It couldn't. Take a look at the backlinks for his domain.
    Mike