SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an opt-in mailing list of about 9,000 subscribers to a weekly news and site update e-mail newsletter. Right now we're hosting the list on a friend's employer's L-Soft ListServ. His company is running into financial trouble and look like they're going to go under. If that happens it will leave me without a ListServ to use.

I'm hoping I could get some recommendations for a good mail list script that I can run on my unix server with SendMail. Or perhaps someone could suggest a better solution? Here are my needs:

• It has to be either free or inexpensive. (Preferably a one time fee under $300.)
    • Ability to accept subscribers through a standard form on all pages of my web site with the ability to use my site's header and footer templates on the thank you/confirmation screens so it looks fully integrated
    • I'd prefer a solution which doesn't add any advertisements to the e-mails.
    • All our subscribers subscribed under our promise that we will never share their e-mail address and personal information with anyone so I must use something were we would have FULL control and SOLE access to all the subscriber's e-mail addresses.
    • It would need to employ double opt-in and double-opt out confirmations.
    • Subscribers would have to be able to automatically unsubscribe by replying, sending mail to a special address, by clicking on a link, or typing their address in a form. I prefer it used a method where all they had to do is click on a link in the e-mail.
    • It couldn't time out or bring my server crashing down when I send the newsletter to the 9,000 + subscribers.
    • It could send the mail using our existing "from" and "reply-to" addresses.

I did look at Subscribe Me Pro offered by CGI Script Center, but since there is no downloadable demo, and I do not know anyone who used it I am wary of buying it without knowing that others use it with success and without problems. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one here has any suggestions at all?

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a lot of things for a mailing list script to be able to do, but I feel there are scripts out there that can do just that.

You say "All our subscribers subscribed under our promise that we will never share their e-mail address and personal information with anyone so I must use something were we would have FULL control and SOLE access to all the subscriber's e-mail addresses." - The best way to keep it this way is to run a script off your own server/host.

I'd suggest checking out some of the PHP mailing list scripts at http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...List_Managers/

You bound to find one there.

I can tell you that I tried most of the ones there that have a decent enough rating and the 2 best ones were Postlister and MultiList Manager.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of experience with opt in newsletters and mailing lists. The best service or program I have ever used is Postmaster General - www.postmastergeneral.com . It has a ton of features, it's very easy to use and it is not too expensive.
    Brian Welch
    Web Design, Web Hosting and Ecommerce
    http://www.perfectpresence.com
    http://www.leadcrunch.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked into ListBot.com? I have had my list hosted with them for over a year and I haven't had any problems. They have almost everything you are looking for...

It has to be either free or inexpensive. (Preferably a one time fee under $300.)
    They have a free ad supported service, but also ListBot Gold, which I just signed up for. It is only $99/year and includes 5,000 credits per month. Then you can buy additional credits in bulk. If you don't want to buy extra credits you still have the option to send it free as an advertising supported mailing.

Here's the pricing structure for additional credits:

5,000 credits [$8.00]
    10,000 credits [$15.00]
    25,000 credits [$30.00]
    100,000 credits [$90.00]
    200,000 credits [$150.00]
    500,000 credits [$300.00]

This is in bulk, not per month.. so you could buy 500,000 credits and use them over several months. They don't advertise their ListBot Gold service anymore, but they have an info page here: http://www.listbot.com/cgi-bin/gold.

Ability to accept subscribers through a standard form on all pages of my web site with the ability to use my site's header and footer templates on the thank you/confirmation screens so it looks fully integrated
    I have a form on all pages of my site.. and it redirects to a page on listbot that has an image which I designed... after that, it's the listbot site.

doesn't add any advertisements
    as explained above, you have that option with ListBot Gold

All our subscribers subscribed under our promise that we will never share their e-mail address and personal information ...
    After reading their TOS on ListBot, they don't claim ownership of the email addresses, but there isn't a direct mention of this. Most of the TOS talks about respecting the subscribers' rights.

double opt-in and double-opt out confirmations
    It is double opt-in, and users are notified when they are removed.

Subscribers would have to be able to automatically unsubscribe ... I prefer it used a method where all they had to do is click on a link in the e-mail.
    There is a link in every email as well as forms that can be used.

It couldn't time out or bring my server crashing down when I send the newsletter to the 9,000 + subscribers.
    Since it's outsourced you don't have to worry about your own server, and I've never had problems with them.

It could send the mail using our existing "from" and "reply-to" addresses.
    You can use their form or send to an email. (I always use their form.)