jQuery is better than Mootools! (12 Reasons)
This post is now outdated, It has been kept here for entertainment purposes only.
Notice: My preference to jQuery and should not be misinterpreted to a criticism of the others!
jQuery Official Definition
Mootools Official Definition
Update: Both Libraries have a very similar file size when compressed (as with most libraries you can reduced the file size to personal sized versions containing only the functions you require – but most people just use the full versions!).
10 Reasons why is jQuery better than Mootools!
- jQuery has better mobile support than Mootools – the latest release of jQuery Mobile Alpha 3 has been a breakthrough in how easy it can be to get your website “mobile efficient”. Mootools has mobile support including touch events but it’s not as widely available as jQuery options. (#1 was Previously jQuery vs Mootools filesizes).
- jQuery is less confusing than Mootools! – It has less native extensions (including element) – jQuery has about a dozen for Array, Object, and String and Mootools has about six dozen for Array, Object, String, Function, and Number.
- jQuery has more plugins available than Mootools! – jQuery has hundreds of unofficial plug-ins in a directory at plugins.jquery.com while Mootools has roughly 4 dozen official plug-ins available at mootools.net/more. Unofficial plugin directory at mootools.net/plugins.
- jQuery has an Official UI library! – Mootools doesn’t. Boo.
- jQuery community is far larger than Mootools! – If you measure jQuery and MooTools on metrics like the number of people using it, the number of search queries run on Google, the number of books sold, etc, you’ll see jQuery is ahead by a wide margin.
- jQuery is more accessible than Mootools! – It has better DOM management than Mootools by a long shot.
- jQuery has sexier looking syntax than Mootools! – This ones a personal opinion of mine… a very subjective observation!
- jQuery loads faster in IE than Mootools! – Proof is below!!! It’s pretty much the same load times as Mootools in all other browsers. (results by Slickspeed).
- jQuery is updated more regularly than Mootools! – Simply better performance due to more updates and bug fixes from a dedicated team. See The Performance Results Tables.
- jQuery is the choice for WordPress! – WordPress is becoming the blogging platform for the future and jQuery is it’s choice! A google search for “WordPress jQuery” returned 8 times more results!!!
- jQuery is more likely to get you a job than Mootools! – A search on freelancers.com revealed 75 Freelance Jobs Found for jQuery and only 1 Freelance Jobs Found for Mootools.