Social media is becoming a standard channel for instant communication, online marketing and sharing of knowledge. Whether you’re a fan or not, you really can’t ignore it. We are all becoming a part of it.
One increasingly popular part of social media is online video. Not only is video being used for marketing, but it’s also becoming a common method of communicating and sharing. I recently started experimenting with online video for my own business blog. Although I’m only a few videos in and have a lot of room for improvement, I can already see some encouraging benefits.
If you’re on the fence about using video in your business or on your blog, here is a compilation of some of the benefits that may convince you to get in front of the camera and give it a try.
- You can build a rapport with your audience.
- You will instantly become more personable.
- It can be a powerful way to promote your brand.
- You can motivate potential clients to act quicker.
- If your competitors do it and you don’t, you could be losing potential clients.
- You don’t have to type anything for a change.
- You can demonstrate your expertise.
- You can show your creativity.
- You can have fun.
- You can show your human side by posting a not-quite-perfect video.
- It may be easier for you to retain the attention of your target audience.
- You can develop a level of trust beyond what’s possible in writing alone.
- It’s an inexpensive marketing approach.
- You’ll show that you’re keeping up with technology.
- You can experience increased visibility in search engines.
- You can give your audience a way to benefit from your knowledge passively (it’s a lot easier to watch a video than read a screen of text!).
- You can provide targeted training.
- You’ll become more memorable.
- Consistent videos can build a different audience than you have through your blog.
- You can “show” instead of “tell.”
- You can reach more of your target audience.
- It can help you establish yourself as an expert.
- You can get people to come back to your site more frequently.
- You can tap into the emotions of your audience.
- You’ll make it easy for your viewers to pass on your message.
- You can use your videos to make announcements, share news and offer special deals.
- It’s entertaining for your viewers.
Of course, there are many other benefits, so it’s your turn to weigh in. Do you use video on your blog or web site? What are the benefits you’ve experienced?
Image credit: Nick J Webb
The Principles of Beautiful Web Design, 4th Edition
Learn PHP in One Day and Learn It Well
Docker for Web Developers