News Wire: AIR, Flex 3, Click Fraud, and more!By Matthew Magain
- MoFuse Instantly Converts Sites for the iPhone – MoFuse is a service that will take your website and instantly create a mobile version of it, sparing you the development costs of doing so by hand.
- The 4 Cs of Good Form Design – A simple model, the 4 Cs, for designing new forms or critiquing existing ones.
- Lawsuit targets Network Solutions, ICANN over the 'front running' of domain names – A Los Angeles firm this afternoon has announced a class action against Network Solutions and ICANN over the former's practice of locking up domain names as soon as they are searched for on its site
- BlazeDS – Released in conjunction with Adobe AIR 1 and Flex 3, BlazeDS is an open source backend for connecting AIR and Flex applications to server-side data sources.
- Adobe AIR and Adobe Flex 3 Now Available – They’re out! Full press release here.
- The Rise of Click Fraud: Is Everyone on the Internet a Criminal? – The overall industry average click fraud rate rose to 16.6% in fourth-quarter , up from the 14.2% click fraud rate for the same quarter in 2006 and 16.2% for third-quarter 2007.
- All clicks are not equal, says Microsoft – Microsoft is proposing on Monday a new way for marketers to think about the value of clicks on Internet ads, with the understanding that the last click a consumer makes isn't necessarily the most important.
- WaSP Round Table: IE8’s Default Version Targeting Behavior – A worthwhile listen, in which Aaron Gustafson, Faruk Ates, and Porter Glendinning sit down with Microsoft’s Chris Wilson to discuss IE8’s proposed (and controversial) X-UA-Compatible feature for browser version targeting.
- How it works | Openvatar – Openvatar is a avatar system that links with your openid, brilliant
- Click Fraud Keeps Rising, Up 15 percent in 2007 – Forensics has some data out on click fraud (clicks on Internet ads that are not real) in the fourth quarter of 2007 and for the full year. The industry-wide average click fraud rate for the entire year went up 15 percent, ending the year with 16.6 percent
- Opera CTO: How to fix Microsoft's browser issues – In an editorial on The Register, Opera CTO Håkon Wium Lie complains that the browser market is effectively a monopoly, and suggests what changes Microsoft must make in order to remedy this.
- Google Analytics Hack » Count Me Out! – keep your Google Analytics data pure you should remove all traffic generated by yourself or others that may not be real visitors. For example, if your company has a large call center you should remove the traffic they generate
- Microsoft Sings a New Tune? Wants to Play Nice With Open-Source – Microsoft is providing a covenant not to sue open source developers for development or non-commercial distribution of implementations of these protocols.
- Logo War: Red Hat Takes On DataPortability – After months of positive news, the DataPortability group has had its first hiccup, a cease and desist letter from RedHat over their use of the Fedora logo.
- 500 Million Downloads of Firefox (almost) – The Firefox browser has been downloaded nearly 500 million times, says their SpreadFirefox website. Parent organization Mozilla is celebrating by raising 500 million grains of rice on FreeRice.
- The Internet Explorer 8 User-Agent String – That’s right. Microsoft has lifted the veil on IE8’s user agent string. Yawn.
- YUI 2.5.0 Released – 6 new components: Layout Manager, Uploader, Resize Utility, ImageCropper, Cookie Utility and a ProfilerViewer Control that works in tandem with the YUI Profiler.
- Facebook loses a few users – Facebook has suffered its first drop in monthly users, according to numbers from web analytics outfit Nielsen Online. Five per cent fewer people in the UK visited the site in January compared to the previous month.
Got a link you’d like to recommend for the SitePoint News Wire? Great! Save the link on del.icio.us, and tag it for:sitepointlinks. Please include a description—it will increase the chances that we’ll select your link for the News Wire!
SitePoint WordPress Restaurant Theme
Pull in the crowds to your eatery, cafe, restaurant or bar with this flexible, modular WordPress theme.
SitePoint WordPress Ecommerce Theme
Sell your wares with this delightfully elegant WooCommerce-powered WordPress theme.
SitePoint WordPress Portfolio Theme
A beautiful, responsive, portfolio theme for creatives - photographers, designers, writers, developers - that shows off your skills and work to potential clients.
Responsive Web Development
Build a modern website with maximum efficiency and organization
Elm: A Beginners' Guide to Elm and Data
Elm, a front-end functional programming language for web apps
Tighten up your programming with strong typing, through TypeScript
Jump Start Responsive Web Design, 2nd Edition
Create exceptional design for every device
Designing UX: Prototyping
A prototype is worth a thousand words
Researching UX: Analytics
Understanding is at the heart of good UX
The 3 SaaS Metrics That Matter (& How to Improve Them)
It's easy to get bogged down with meaningless business metrics. Charles Costa looks at the three you need to watch if you're starting a...
Design & UX
How to Boost App Downloads by A/B Testing Icons
Roman Rudnik shows us how to boost app store downloads by A/B testing multiple icon designs in this step-by-step walkthrough.
The 3 SaaS Metrics That Matter (& How to Improve Them)
It's easy to get bogged down with meaningless business metrics. Charles Costa looks at the three you need to watch if you're starting a SaaS business.