88 Outstanding Favicons and 6 Resources to Help You Create Your OwnBy Alyssa Gregory
Favicons have become a standard element in web design, and they can have a tremendous impact on brand recognition (see Matt Magain’s post, Google Changes Favicon, Challenges You To Do Better). If you’re not used to designing for a tiny area (just 16×16 pixels), it can be very difficult to create a distinguishable company-specific or site-branded favicon. And depending on the logo, colors, words, etc. that you’re working with, it can be a challenge to create one that actually looks good.
In my constant search for favicon inspiration, I compiled a list of more than 80 creative and well-designed favicons that successfully portray the look and feel of the website or brand. There are probably thousands more that are suitable for this list, so if you have a few of your own favorites, share them in the comments.
Now that you’re inspired, it’s time to create your own favicon that’s as smooth as the examples above. Here are a few resources you may find useful:
- 20 Best Favicon Online Generators on CSSJuice
- Mysteries Of The Favicon.ico – How To Create A Favicon In Photoshop by Jennifer Apple
- Creating Favicons with Adobe Photoshop and GoLive on Amenco
- Favicon Tutorial on Heaven Graphics
- Creating a simple web 2.0 favicon – Tutorial on Sankaranand
- Making a Good Favicon on Snook.ca