The All-In-One Solution to Social Media Noise
I recently stumbled across NutshellMail. It’s a free service provided by Constant Contact that collects updates across all of your social networks and sends them to you in email digests. It’s a service intended to help you capture only the information that is important to you, and save time while doing it.
Social Networks and Data Covered
Here is a breakdown of the updates that you can collect from each of the social networks the service supports:
- Facebook: Status updates, photos, news feeds, birthdays and friend requests
- Twitter: Selected Twitter search keywords, new followers and unfollows, sent tweets, direct messages, retweets and @replies
- MySpace: Updates, photos, videos and friend requests
- LinkedIn: Connections, profile updates, job listings, group updates, recommendations and Q&A updates
- Ning: All Ning network activity
As a new user who just recently signed up, the depth of info the service provides impressed me, especially when I worry that I am frequently missing information I would want to see but can’t be in 5 places at once, or because I just can’t hear over all of the social media noise.
Plus, I like the idea of capturing everything in email and being able to review it when it suits me best instead of bouncing around from Facebook to Twitter to LinkedIn during my designated daily check-ins. It can be annoying.
The emails come in HTML format, so they’re easy to scan through. There are even buttons that allow you to initiate a comment, like, reply, retweet, etc. right from your email.
One of the most attractive features is that you can setup an email newsletter that automatically sends the latest feeds from your Facebook fan page to your fans’ email inboxes once they opt-in. I set this up on one of my pages in under a minute, and it looks like it does exactly what it says it does. It’s a great way to give fans a way to keep up with your page and stay engaged.
Some of the other useful features include:
- Custom delivery schedule (day, time, frequency)
- Ability to add multiple accounts from the same social network
- Pick and choose exactly what you want to see and what you don’t
A Video Overview
Here’s a video overview describing what NutshellMail does:
There are other services out there that will send you digest updates, but I haven’t found one yet that will cover multiple networks (and multiple accounts on those networks) with this level of data. I expect it will help me keep up with my networks and make it much less work to do it.
But, what do you think? Do you think you could benefit from a digest service like this, or do you prefer to do it all manually (or not at all)?