I’m an in-house web designer who has recently been asked to provide a client with the cost of dedicated hosting for a website that my company will develop and manage. As we have always hosted websites on our own established network, dedicated hosting is a new area for me. The type of website we are creating is a fairly simple one – roughly 30-60 pages, used to display information about the economy through text and static graphs (in image form) which will be maintained through a CMS like Joomla or EE. In terms of traffic, I think it would be about 1000 visitors per day and possibly 500 at one time a couple of times a month. I’ve been leaning towards a managed service since we do not have a fulltime IT person. So, in looking at different packages I’ve come across a lot of questions.
- What considerations in terms of features should I be looking at when choosing a service?
- What is the extent of services that a managed plan should provide? Does it go beyond set up?
- Is there an optimal server set up to host a CMS like Joomla or EE?
- With the differences in monthly pricing being so large amongst different companies I’m having a hard time trying to establish a base. Below is a basic managed plan from RackSpace. In terms of specs and price can anyone give any insight to how this configuration stacks up?
- Would this configuration be appropriate for my site and anticipated traffic?
Basic One* - $419/mo.
• 1xDual-Core AMD Opteron
• 3.5GB RAM (DDR2)
• 2x250GB, 7.2K, SATA (RAID1)
• 2TB Bandwidth
• Managed® Service Level
I’m just beginning the process so I apologize if my questions are a little off-base or vague. If anyone could provide any insight to any I will greatly appreciate it.