And now for this week’s finds …
- Quick-Tip: Show Modal Popup after Time Delay - How to open a modal window on a web page after a short time delay.
- How to Use Ajax in WordPress – a Real World Example - Ajax has rapidly become a popular web technology, you’ll find it used on most websites. The key feature of Ajax is it can manage database operations without reloading the web page. This means, you can fetch data from the database and display it on the front-end without needing to refresh the page.
- Parsing JSON is a Minefield - JSON is the de facto standard when it comes to (un)serialising and exchanging data in web and mobile programming. But how well do you really know JSON?
- jq.node - like jq but WAY MORE powerful.
- Async functions - making promises friendly - Async functions are enabled by default in Chrome 55 and they’re quite frankly marvelous. They allow you to write promise-based code as if it were synchronous, but without blocking the main thread. They make your asynchronous code less “clever” and more readable.
- Tips for using async functions (ES2017) - This blog post gives tips for using async functions. If you are unfamiliar with them, you can read chapter “Async functions” in “Exploring ES2016 and ES2017”.
- Three ways of understanding Promises - This blog post covers three ways of understanding Promises.
- ES6 Template Strings, the Handlebars killer? - So what are Template Literals? How can they do what a complex library like Handlebars does? Settle in, dear reader, and let’s find out…
- React Memory Game - Greetings developers, Shall we play a game?
- Faster, More Reliable CI Builds with Yarn - You may have heard of Yarn. It’s intended as a faster, more reliable alternative to the npm client. It’s nice to have packages install faster locally, but to really get the most from Yarn, you should also be using it with your continuous integration server.
- A Guide to Building Quality Angular 1.5 Components - Angular 1 applications can now be written with components, which changes the best practices and nature of how we write applications.
- Fun Functional Programming with the Choo Framework - With Choo you’ll be writing similar style applications to React and Redux but at a fraction of the cost (file size) and number of API’s.
- How to Land Your First Development Job in 5 Simple Steps - This article will guide you step-by-step to help you land and ace coding interviews. If you have the chops, nobody will care that you’ve never worked for anybody before.
Please PM us if you have anything of interest for the next issue or if there is anything you would like to see featured. Paul and Chris of Arabia.