1. Proper Products Catalog
A sheet or doc consisting Products title, Products description, Thumbnails, Images, SKUs, Weights etc.
It's important for bulk import of products (rather than one-by-one adding) and on-site optimization. Proper titles, good (& lengthy for more content) descriptions and nice image is search engine friendly and helps for improving conversion rate too.
2. Shopping Cart/Platform
You can think about hosted or SaaS e-commerce platform. If you're new to e-commerce and have little experience then go for SaaS platform.
What makes an e-commerce platform good?
- PCI Compliance
- Up-Selling, Cross-Selling features
- Rich integration with Email marketing service, Google Analytics, Testing tools, accounting softwares etc
- Affordable monthly plans or per transaction fee
- Easy to use and design
- Support for Data Feeds
- Stock or inventory management
- CMS functionality like adding pages
You can also think about additional features such as Social Selling or Affiliate Product.
3. Payment Processors/Gateways
Choose the right payment processor according to your ideal user base and demographic. For example, SagePay is very popular in UK.
If you're using Paypal/Google Checkout or similar services, there is no need to open a merchant account at your Bank.
4. SSL Certificates
If you're using a hosted platform, it's very important. But in case of SaaS platforms, they have already SSL installed.
5. Additional things to consider
- A Blog for publishing news and promotions
- Live Chat and knowledge Base
- Gift Certificates, Wishlists