TL:DR skip to the bullets.
A few months ago I found out that I have a ton of veteran benefits that’ll let me go to school for free on top of a housing allowance. Because of this, I won’t have to work for 24 months (when the benefits run out). However, that’ll only get me through an associates when I really need a bachelors.
To leverage my experience, I thought I would start a club and operate it like a small business. The club needs to be profitable enough that student members don’t have to work either with some extra so we can go on trips. I also personally need to make enough for when the benefits run out.
Here are the basic ideas on how I see myself pulling this off:
- The students will build static HTML templates that we give away for free
- I’ll convert the HTML templates to WordPress themes which we sell on theme market places (or through our own site)
- Some of us can work on plugin development which we sell as a service
These are the averages over a year I consider realistic:
- 3 active members churning 1 HTML template a month
- 30 sales per converted template @ $40 a month. 3 * 30 * 40 * 12 = $43200
- 20% goes back into the club for trips and to run events (like hackathons or event organize schoo-wide events). So $34560 a year before taxes
- $11,520 a year for every active member
Is this realistic? I feel like I’m missing something.