I’m working on a project for document management system for what will be a school document library and research system. I’ve done a great deal of searching but can only come up with either the stock open source CMS that I know (Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal and a lot of second comers) and enterprise resources that never price and always seek to call you to see how much they can upsell. There is some budget but not the massive corporate budget you’d expect. The project:
Overall, the document library will be like many of the systems you’d see in a university, such as one that has the main doc kept in either text, rich text, html along with an abstract (long summary of the doc), an excerpt (short summary of the doc) and:
- ability to download the doc in different formats (html, doc, pdf)
- tag docs using an organized tagging system for data entry
- a drilldown search system (such as amazon where you enter the product, you get various categories you can find in a sidebar and then choose each category to filter through the remaining documents you’ll have in the main page area)
- Keeps track of revisions and publishes the main doc (while archiving the old)
- Ability to create relationships between docs, e.g. if one doc references another it will be added to tab in the document that will list the related docs and hyperlinks
- manage 25,000- 100,000 docs
- add relationships between docs and many attributes, e.g. language translations for each doc and a link to each document’s translated version.
At the moment I’ve used Wordpress for many of these things since a good amount can actually be built on the platform. It does many other great things too (such as user access levels) but it’s not the most ideal. I have concerns about scalability once more complexity is involved and the list of document attributes to mark and relate to other docs keeps growing.
Joomla is definitely out. Drupal is a thought but everything on that platform seems to require a ridiculous amount of very expensive programming. And unlike Wordpress, the interface leaves much to be desired. With Wordpress I can quickly build a beautiful back end form, plug in some ajax addons and it just works on the cheap as we grow the project, which can be exported and imported into something else. But what other tools are more appropriate for building a true doc library? Wordpress is more designed to be a good blogging tool that has great, inexpensive flexibility. Would really appreciate suggestions and recommendations.