Cascading issues


On my homepage of, I’ve got a CSS issues that I was hoping I could have help with. When the user clicks on the Members Only menu (left-hand side), the secondary menu isn’t the same font as the primary menu. Basically, I’m using a different class (nyroModal) to create a “Sorry, but you can’t access this part of the site!” message, as you’ll see if you click on it.

My not-so-hot-solution was to create an inline style for each of the menu options. :blush:

This was the only way that I could override the nyroModal style. I’m sure that there’s a better solution and would appreciate some input.

Thank you,


It’s not clear to me what your actual question is here.


Sorry if my original post wasn’t clear enough. I’ve attached a screen shot of my homepage with instructions about where to look (go to the actual to see it in action. After clicking on “The Language of Algebra”, you’ll see that the 2nd level menu has a different font than the first — this is what I’m trying to fix. :slight_smile:



On line 105 of your style sheet, you specify a different font:

a.nyroModal {
    [COLOR="Red"]font-family: 'Fontdiner Swanky',serif;[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]font-size: 25px;[/COLOR]
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: 400;
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]letter-spacing: 0.07em;[/COLOR]
    line-height: 1.2;
    padding: 6px;
    text-decoration: underline;
    text-shadow: none;
    text-transform: none;
    word-spacing: 0;

If you don’t want a different font there, just remove the line in red. If you don’t want a different size, remove the line in blue. If you don’t want the different letter spacing, remove the line in orange.

Hope that’s what you mean. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the solution to this one. After you pointed out that it was in my style sheet, I couldn’t figure out why I hadn’t seen it before: I’ve now learned that when I “cloak” files in Dreamweaver, “find and replace” can’t find them.

Happy Saturday!


Also, you’re mixing metrics too much – you’re declaring %/EM inside px, px inside %/em, so on systems that vary the system metric (the people %/em are for) your entire layout is buggered.

Of course with 46 validation errors you don’t have XHTML, you have gibberish – a surprisingly high number given the permissive tranny doctype (which basically says you are in transition from 1997 to 1998!). Transitional’s for supporting old/outdated/half-assed coding techniques, NOT building new sites after ~2003ish (when Nyetscape 4 was kicked to the curb).

I mean, tables for nothing, scripting on a page that shouldn’t warrant scripting, nonsensical heading orders, multiple H1’s, wasteful extra div for nothing, pointless/redundant classes all over the place, inline-level tags wrapping block level ones, empty paragraphs doing padding’s job, spans around elements that should be headings, paragraphs around non-paragraph elements, HTML 3.2 formatting mixed into a XHTML document, IE conditionals on a page too simple to need them, much less the jquery bloat for NOTHING… (other than that annoying menu delay garbage)…

… adding up to half a megabyte wasted to convey 1.9k of plaintext using annoying animations, hard to read goofy fonts, color contrasts below accessibility norms, all wrapped in a broken layout.

My advice, chuck it and start over with modern semantic markup… but that’s almost always my advice.

Thank you for your extremely to the point advice. I fear that this is my first website creation and it looks like I still need to clean up a lot of my CSS before proceeding.