Link Bombing

I know that this practice has been done for a long time and I don’t think this is still being done these days. But I would like to know if link bombing is still effective these days? If so, how was it actually done and how to reverse it?

“Google bombing” has been killed off by changes that Google made to tighten up its algorithm. You can read more about it at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb

<snip>

And I can say that Link Bombing is helpful SEO trick.

In that case, what you are saying is wrong. Stevie D has already shown proof that this is a dead practice.

That’s how Link bombing is define by Wikipedia.

The terms Google bomb and Googlewashing refer to practices, such as creating large numbers of links, that cause a web page to have a high ranking for searches on unrelated or off topic keyword phrases, often for comical or satirical purposes.

What if you are creating large numbers of links by targeting only related keyword phrases, would that still be a problem? Or, would that still be considered as Link bombing? People tend to say that creating large amounts of links in a short period of time can get your penalized, is that the case?

Yes it is a similar case which we also call as spamdexing. If huge amounts of links are used to manipulate the search results, there are high chances that you get penalized by the search engines. Google now has penguin update which aims at demoting websites with such bad links.

You can create huge amount of links by using white search engine optimization techniques. Creating lots of links in a short period of time does not necessarily means that it’s black hat search engine optimization practices. Would that be a problem if you get those links by using techniques that are not in violation with Google webmaster’s guidelines?

[font=verdana]Google Bombing wasn’t ever about commercial spam. In general, they were about either poking fun at public figures, or about making a political point, or quite often both at the same time. Probably the most infamous was the Weapons of mass destruction 404 error, but there were plenty of others, like getting George W Bush’s official biography to be the #1 result for “miserable failure”. Many sites that got to #1 after a Google Bomb were either official pages (such as GWB’s biography) or Wikipedia pages, they were usually not about getting traffic to the protagonist’s own site.

A key point is that the chosen page often wouldn’t mention the search term at all. GWB’s biography almost certainly didn’t have the words “miserable failure” on it, because that wasn’t what it was (supposed to be) about.

That’s a different kettle of fish to creating a bazillion spammy links to your own website to try to get it to #1 for a particular word or phrase that you use throughout the page. The outcome is the same – nothing – but the reason and the method is completely different.[/font]

Emm, I just wondered what’s your based of to say that link bombing is helpful SEO trick