Whats the exact difference between the Panda Update and Penguin Update?

Hi folks, well I was just going through some of the major upadates of Google , and i am now so much confused!
I wanted to know, what’s the actual difference between Panda Update and Penguin Update?

[font=verdana]To be honest, worrying about the difference between one update and the next isn’t much more than navel-gazing … what you want to concentrate on is following Google’s guidelines and recommendations as closely as you can. We are now where we are now, and how we got here is pretty irrelevant. We also know where Google’s trying to take us, but we don’t know what route it will take.

My biggest concern when I hear people asking exactly what Panda did or exactly what Penguin did is that they still haven’t understood what this game is about. We know what the endgame is, but we don’t know what all the rules are. Some of them, we’ve been able to figure out, but others are still a mystery. And it gets worse, because the rules change as we go along, and as often as not we won’t be told even that they’re changing, let alone how they’re changing. (Now where have I heard that before?).

So rather than focusing on how you can game the system now after the Panda and Penguin updates, look at how you can win the endgame – that means doing what Google wants you to do. Anything else – any attempts to subvert the system or use loopholes to your advantage – puts you at risk of being hit hard by the Pelican Update, Platypus Update, Pufferfish Update or whatever comes next. Because one thing is for sure, the rules of the game will continue to change, and anyone exploiting flaws in the current algorithm is on the hit list for when it next changes.[/font]

I’d rather look at those updates as some sort of a wake-up call for some of the site owners who don’t follow the guidelines set by Google to start doing things their way. As Stevie mentioned, you should just focus on following the guidelines instead of worrying too much on what the updates do. Well, not unless you’re one of those people who disobey the guidelines. You can just do a little backtracking on the things you’ve done that may have caused your site’s rankings to drop. Again, that’s if only you did something shady.

Really simply:
Panda - score given to a site for on-page factors (ie content)
Penguin - score given to a site for off-page factors (ie links)

Google panda and penguin both are algorithm changes.
Google panda focused on targeting low quality contents and
Penguin targets over optimization.

Google Panda is an algorithm update created by Google that is released in February 23, 2011. This update upgrades the sites that people like and downgrades the sites that people dislike. The evaluation is based on design and user’s experience, the overall quality of content and the usage metrics. Google Panda favors those sites that have good design, those that have easy navigation, the contents are useful and is shared by many people and most importantly, those sites that receives longer visits from various users. It downgrades those sites that have contents that are poorly written and duplicated.

Google Penguin is also an algorithm update released by Google in April 24, 2012. Its main goal is to protect the search engine from black-hat techniques in SEO. The Penguin penalizes those websites that use keyword stuffing, cloaking, link farming and duplicating contents to rank higher in search engine.

Hope. Penguin targets none of those except link farming.

Nobody can give you exactly difference between the two updates because the algorithms are totally classified and i don’t think anybody could crack it so easily. IMHO you should rather concentrate on Dos and Don’ts after the updates, which precisely say that: Avoid duplicate and low quality content and Avoid bad/low quality linking.

The main target of Google Penguin update is to check web spam. So, if you follow white hat Seo and work on unique content and avoid gunk links, then you can get rank on Google.

That’s what i’ve been hearing too. not only that, most sites have been slapped for not varying their anchor text links and over optimizing(keyword stuffing) which shows signs of manipulating the search engines. Google is now focusing more on unique content and relevance. You also might want to start using social signals by using twitter, facebook and google+ into your backlinking mix.

Both of these are Google’s algorithms Google Panda put those website on higher ranking which are highly optimized in ON page S.E.O. and Google Penguin punishes those websites which make spam work like over optimization.

Since the OP hasn’t returned to this thread and the responses are all saying the same thing over and over AND OVER again, I think it’s reached it’s usefulness potential.

THREAD CLOSED