Java: get array sent from ajax/jQuery

[FONT=Verdana]I need to get an array of srings with Java that I send from ajax, with jQuery, thus:

data: {  namesArray : namesAfterPick }

with Java I grab thus:

namesArr = request.getParameterValues("namesArray");

but it’s not working… it’s not getting sent (or not getting received by the back-end…:wink:

complete code to send:

$.post( "infoArr.jsp",{
	  data: {  namesArray : namesAfterPick }
	 } , function( data ) {
			$( "#outputDivArr" ).append( data );
	 })

but for grabbing a single string, this

nameChosen = getParamater("namePicked");

works fine when sending thus:

$.post( "info.jsp",{
	  namePicked: names[0]
	 } , function( data ) {
			$( "#outputDiv" ).append( data )
	 })

how do I grab with Java an array of strings sent with ajax???

thank you…[/FONT]

What datatype is namesArr in your Java?

What error messages are you receiving?

request.getParameterValues(“namesArray”) is a String. If you want to turn it into an array, you’re going to need to do something like:

String tempStr = request.getParameterValues("namesArray");
String[] namesArr = tempStr.split(",");

If you’re passing it via JSON Array, ie: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5], then it would probably be better to use the JSONArray object, rather than dealing with a regex or something. http://www.json.org/javadoc/org/json/JSONArray.html

Also, is there a reason why getParamater(“namePicked”) has no HttpContext handler and request.getParameterValues(“namesArray”) does?

[FONT=Verdana]

yes… I use a special method to get param (single params…) long story… forgot to rewrite it here properly for purposes of this post…

thank you…

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]
so do I have to use JSON?

it’s a simple string array… when user hits a button, I shuffle it, select first element, then remove it…

then when another user hits a button, I shuffle again, select first item again, then remove it… etc…

what I need to save to the server is the array after I have removed that first selected item…

why would I need to go thru JSON for this?

thank you…

[/FONT]

You don’t have to use JSON, I was just suggesting it might be easier if you’re already using it somewhere else in your code and already have the proper libraries. Since something like [1,2,3,4] is a Javascript array, where as an array of parameters is just 1,2,3,4.

In either case, it looks like the string is being split. The error:

An error occurred at line: [] in the jsp file: /infoArr.jsp
Type mismatch: cannot convert from String[] to String

Looks like it’s coming from somewhere else in your code, where you’re trying to use the String Array as a String. Does it really say “line: ” or does it say “line: 123” or something?

You need to access the array members.

for(int i=0;i<namesArr.length;++i) {
   System.out.println(namesArr[i]);
}