Jump Start Sinatra
By Darren Jones
Sinatra is the natural choice for building fast and efficient Ruby applications without the weight of Rails.
Sinatra has become the natural choice for building fast and efficient Ruby applications without the weight of Rails. In fact, consider that the entire Sinatra codebase weighs in at less than 2,000 lines—around 1% the size of Rails! And, unlike Rails, you have the freedom to choose the tools you prefer. So, for instance, you can write database-agnostic code complete with Ajax.
Sinatra gives you:
- Lightning speed: Sinatra’s crazy-tiny codebase (1% the size of Rails) makes for performance that Rails simply can’t touch.
- Flexibility: Don’t let your framework dictate how you work. Sinatra works the way YOU work, with YOUR tools.
- Maintainability: Break free from dependancy hell, using only the gems that your project needs.
Buy Jump Start Sinatra, and in one weekend you’ll learn to:
- Set up everything you need to begin using Sinatra,
- Create fast websites and applications with Ruby,
- Develop a complete ‘Frank Sinatra Songs’ application,
- Deply your applications using Heroku.
Getting started with Sinatra
In this interview Jess talks to John Barton about – Getting Started with Sinatra. As John explains, because Sinatra is small and flexible, it allows you to quickly create web applications in Ruby with minimal effort. He then describes how Sinatra can be used ‘in the wild’, and demonstrates in a quick tutorial, how to use Sinatra to build a simple marketing page with a sign-up form.
Meet Darren Jones
Darren Jones has been programming and building websites for more than a decade. After discovering Ruby on Rails, he fell in love with Sinatra’s approach to web development. Darren now contributes Sinatra tutorials to the RubySource website, and lists water polo and mathematics among his interests.
“Fantastic book! Comprehensive, enjoyable, easy to understand. I use Sinatra for all sorts of projects now.”
“Jump Start Sinatra is a hands on course to get started on this amazing microframework with the hands dirty, although with crystal clear concepts.”
“A very nice resource for the ones learning Sinatra!”
If you feel that "Jump Start Sinatra" falls short of being everything you wanted, we’d like you to have your money back.
Simply contact us within 30 days of purchasing your book from SitePoint, and we'll promptly send a refund. We know you'll be thrilled with the quality of our books!