Author: Stuart Langridge
Technical editor: Simon Willison
- Build fancy DHTML effects that can be instantly reused in any project.
- Make search engine friendly, multi-level, drop-down navigation menus.
- Build dynamic Web applications using remote scripting techniques/AJAX.
This title available in Adobe PDF, Kindle (mobi) and ePub (IOS) formats
So, what’s in this book?
The book contains some fantastic working examples including this slick, AJAX-powered, drag'n'drop file manager from the browser.
What do Flickr, Google Suggest, Google Maps, and GMail have in common?
They all take great advantage of some of the latest modern, unobtrusive DHTML techniques.
As users become more familiar with the Web, they demand more: more information, better usability, greater functionality and improved interactivity. If they don’t get it, they move on.
So your code will enhance sites’ interactivity and usability in browsers that can handle it, but won’t break the functionality on those that can’t. You can use DHTML on any Website, without having to worry about causing problems for even a small percent of your visitors.
What Will You Learn?
The Evolution of Modern Web Design
|1999||The Nightmare: A jumble of content, scripting and formatting information|
|2005||The Future is Now: Behavior (JS), formatting (CSS) and content (HTML) are easily managed from entirely separate files.|
This book will show you how to:
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of the Document Object Model (DOM)
- Make reusable modular image rollovers that keep your code separate from the content of the page
- Discover how to use DOM Events to make your code respond to input from the user
- Make tables more readable with dynamic highlighting
- Learn how to use feature sniffing to determine the browser’s capabilities so that your scripts won’t trouble browsers that are incapable of handling them
- Discover how animation can be used to improve usability
- Create animated tooltips to guide visitors through your site
- Discover how to validate form data using regular expressions, and give dynamic feedback to your users
- Build self-suggesting dropdown lists that improve the usability of dropdown menus, just like Google Suggest
- Discover the benefits of object-based programming
- Develop a fully standards-compliant, cross-browser, customizable navigation menu
- Get the lowdown on Remote Scripting techniques and AJAX
- Create form fields with name resolution that will automatically resolve an email address from a nickname
- Construct an AJAX signup form that can automatically let a user know that a username is taken without having to submit the whole form
- Develop a drag and drop file manager application (link to online version)
- Use XML-RPC and the Blogger API to make a weblog post editor
- And a whole lot more..
All the DHTML presented in this book will make your code cleaner, the user experience on your Website better, and best of all, it won’t negatively impact older browsers.
View the Table of Contents
Who Should Read This Book?
The book is written in the usual SitePoint style: clear, fun to read, and with plenty of practical examples that you can apply immediately to your own Websites.
No-risk Money-back Guarantee
Simply contact us and we will see to it that you receive a prompt and courteous refund of the full purchase price.
What could be fairer than this?
How To Order This Book
And of course, it's so easy to carry a whole library of PDFs with you (on a laptop or pen drive) that you'll never need to be caught without a solution to a problem again.
This title is not available in hard copy, printed format.
The Digital ePack for this book contains three formats (Adobe PDF, Kindle's MOBI and ePUB, which you are welcome to use on any device you own.
All credit card transactions are processed by WorldPay.
Please direct all questions to our Customer Support Department.
Our promise to you... Order direct from sitepoint.com and receive:
- The very latest editions of all our books
- Exclusive offers only available to direct customers
- Lightning-fast shipping world-wide
- 30 day money-back guarantee