Online Reputation Management: 16 Free Tools
In the first part of this series, I provided an overview of Online Reputation Management (ORM) and why it’s an important activity to adopt in your business and professional life. This post will outline some of the free tools available for monitoring your online reputation.
1. BackType Blog Comments Monitoring – This tool indexes conversations from blogs, social networks and other social media. It also has an alert function that e-mails updates whenever a search term is mentioned in a comment.
2. BlogPulse – BlogPulse is a blog search engine with several complementary tools such as Trend Search and Conversion Tracker that analyzes the data it collects.
3. Google Blog Search – This is a Google beta search engine for blogs.
4. Technorati – Technorati is the leading blog search engine indexing millions of blog posts in real time. It also tracks the authority, influence and popularity of blogs.
5. Monitter – A real-time Twitter monitor for up to three keywords at a time.
6. TweetBeep – This tool provides hourly Twitter alerts sent via e-mail. You can specify keywords, people and links to track.
7. Tweet Later – TweetLater has a number of features for Twitter users, and it also monitors Twitter and e-mails you a digest of the tweets that contain your specified keywords. You can also use this to track your @replies.
8. Twitter Search – Twitter Search was formally Summize. It searches all Twitter activity for keywords, links or user activity in real time.
9. BackTweets – This is a service by BackType that provides an engine to search for specific links mentioned on Twitter.
10. WhoLinksToMe – A link search tool that tracks backlinks and makes them easily sortable by anchor text, origination, and by the target URL with enhanced reporting capability. You can also import links from Google Webmaster Tools for enhanced analysis.
11. Google Alerts – Your keyword search results are sent via e-mail for keyword mentions in news, web, blogs, video and groups categories.
12. BoardTracker – This tool searches discussion boards and forum threads for your specified keywords. You can also sign up for e-mail alerts.
13. MonitorThis – MonitorThis is a search aggregator for up to 26 search engine feeds.
14. Naymz – A social network focused on reputation, personal branding, and identity verification. Basic version is free.
15. Purewire Trust – An online portal that helps people verify reputation information about themselves and those with whom they interact online. You can search by e-mail address, URL or web application.
16. Yasni – This is a search engine dedicated to finding people on the web through publicly available information, including images, videos, social networking profiles and posts.
With the number of tools available, you will probably need to do some research to determine which services fulfill your needs. Usually a mix of a few of these free services will cover your bases, but you will need time to do the manual work necessary for the tools that are not automated.
If you prefer to have more of the work done for you, there are also a number of paid tools available to monitor your online reputation:
- BrandsEye – Starting at $1 USD/month
- Naymz – Premium service is $9.95 USD/month
- Reputation.com’s MyReputation – $14.95 USD/month
- Trackur – Starting at $18 USD/month
Do you use any of these tools? Which would you recommend?
- Online Reputation Management: The Basics
- Online Reputation Management: How to Handle Negative Publicity
Screenshot taken from BlogPulse Trend Search.