Have you checked out www.CafePress.com? I am kicking myself for not thinking of this business. The company sets anyone up to make and sell products. Want to make and sell t-shirts with your design? Coffee mugs? Your own book? CafePress sets you up.
Their strategy deserves some serious thought:
1. Instead of providing a custom service, provide a set of tools and utilities to set people up to be self-sufficient.
2. Provide a turn-key solution.
3. Help people make money simply and easily, with minimal risk to anyone.
4. Scale your service to be accessible to millions.
The big ideas these days (including Google, which sets you up to be your own ad firm; JotSpot, which is creating Wiki applications for common folks; Ebay) are following this strategy.
Food for thought…
- 1 How to Build a Virtual Design Team with 99designs
- 2 How to Boost Happiness and Engagement with Personalized UIs
- 3 New Podcast: #Ep1 - Designing for Scale: Inside Atlassian’s Design Teams
- 4 Podcast: Behind the Facebook Logo - A $100 Million Story
- 5 7 Proven Cognitive Biases (And How They Impact Your Design)