Junior Software Engineer
1 month ago
Junior Software Engineer
Sendle builds shipping that is good for the world. We help small business thrive by making parcel delivery simple, reliable and affordable. We’re a B Corp and the first 100% carbon neutral delivery service in Australia and United States, where we harness major courier networks to create a delivery service that levels the playing field for small businesses.
The role in a nutshell
We are a 100% remote engineering team and have been since the beginning, with members all around Australia. Sendle is a trusting and flexible work place so is a great fit for engineers who feel it’s results that matter not time spent at the keyboard Engineers will work in cross-functional teams with designers, customer support, marketing and logistics experts. At Sendle you might work on projects such as integrating our dashboard with a eCommerce platform, improving the way customers manage their parcels in the Sendle dashboard, or integrating and connecting courier networks in innovative ways.
We use Ruby and Elixir on the backend, React on the frontend and we love Postgres. We use an automated, pull request based, continuous integration workflow. Every pull request is automatically deployed to its own testing environment so getting feedback on your work is quick and easy. All pull requests are reviewed by other engineers, so there’s always an opportunity to get deep feedback on different technologies from different developers. All developers can deploy to production and we do so several times a day.
What you’ll do
Junior Software Engineer
- Collaboratively work on projects identified by your Lead Engineer to achieve customer and business goals.
- Get involved in as many areas of Sendle as possible; learn how we work, what being an engineer means and find areas that you’re interested in developing deeper knowledge.
- Build defined features with guidance and push them to production. You’ll test and troubleshoot your work thoroughly and help others quickly test your work too.
- Learn, learn and learn some more. A lot of things will be new but you’ll learn to execute, as quickly and accurately as possible.
- Build trust with your peers by debugging issues in production, asking questions after attempting to solve the problem yourself and know who to ask for help.
Mid-Level Software Engineer
- You’ll do everything that is expected of a junior engineer but now with the added focus of becoming an expert in Sendle systems.
- Apply your strong technical intuition to ensure the quality and maintainability of the systems you build.
- Build and help design features while explaining tradeoffs and plan the work with the team.
- Educate and skill up other engineers in your area of expertise.
- Work closely with your Lead Engineer while requiring minimal guidance, you’ll design components, abstractions and write code that is exemplary.
Senior Software Engineer
- You’ll do everything that is expected of a junior and mid-level engineer but now with the added complexity of being an expert in a broad range of Sendle systems and mentoring others.
- Bring your deep knowledge of a broad range of software engineering, tools and practices to the team.
- Guide and support others in planning or implementation and you write code that is exemplary, you make the team better by leading by example.
- Be pragmatic, you know when things need to be of the highest quality or good enough.
- Champion practices and changes that ensure the team are more productive and confident.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and communicate technical ideas in the right language.
- Identify technical opportunities and bring to attention challenges before they have a negative impact on the business.
- Work with systems at large scale, complexity or both.
What you’ll need
- Loves working in a team and supporting their team members
- Experience designing and building performant, testable and maintainable code.
- Experience working autonomously, with a high degree of personal organisation.
- Great written and spoken communication skills for audiences with varying technical ability.
- Experience working on at least one mid to large Rails/Elixir application.
- You know your way around SQL and PostgreSQL.
- Working rights in Australia
What we’re offering
- A chance to do the best work of your career with a collaborative, creative, supportive team
- A generous personal development budget
- You are able to create your own work environment, connecting to a remote team from anywhere in Australia.
- Options through participation in Sendle’s ESOP
What matters to us
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets. We have 5 key values that we look for in every member of our team.
- Humble - We put others first. We embrace and seek feedback from others.
- Honest - We speak gently but frankly. We take ownership of our mistakes and speak the truth.
- Happy - We enjoy the journey. We are optimistic and find opportunities in all things.
- Hungry - We aspire to make a difference. We aim high, step out of our comfort zones and tackle the hard problems.
- High-Performing - We relentlessly deliver. We know the goal and work fearlessly towards it.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you want to be a part of something remarkable then we’re excited to hear from you.